VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 25 July 2010

A Village Wedding

Our friends' daughter got married in the village church yesterday. She was born here and went to the village school so she's a real Daughter of the Village.

My contribution to the festivities is always to make the arch over the church porch. I have a friend cutting my vegetation to size and I do the arranging.
Here's a close-up of one of the uprights showing the different kinds of vegetation and flowers we used. The colour scheme of the wedding was blue and white.

Here's how we do it. One of the church wardens made a wooden frame to which we fasten cling-film wrapped pieces of soaked Oasis with floristry tape. I arrange the plant material with the arch shape hanging from a hook suspended from a plank held between two of the pillars.


The uprights are similarly suspended to be worked on and then the arch is taken up a ladder and placed on a hook above the porch. The uprights are then bolted onto the arch and we have the full archway covered in flowers. A couple getting married in September came to have a look, so we might have another order!


The two sides of the church porch had these 'landscapes' arranged along the stone benches.


The font. I also arranged clematis, hops, briony and some spare white spray chrysanths around the pillar tops. The church looked really lovely - had the bride's mum a bit teary-eyed.

14 comments:

meemsnyc said...

The arches are so pretty! Very nice, I'm sure they loved it.

BilboWaggins said...

Absolutely boomin' lovely.

I think this arch is even prettier than the last one you did, what a fabulous community you have in the village.

Any more pics of the wedding?

QuiltSue said...

It's all absolutely beautiful. I've never seen the entrance to a church framed like that. It must take so long to do it.

Sarah McGrath said...

So beautiful I want to get married to my husband all over again and especially under your beautiful floral arch!
The Urban Potager.

Kath said...

I don't think I've ever seen it done before, meeemsnyc, but ours is only in place for a few days and you could blink and miss it. I'm sure others must do this sort of thing.

I prefer this one to the last too Bilbo. The last was very in-your-face- yellow.

This is our third arch Sue. The first was just the curved top. That took about a day. The second was the Full Monty, like this and also took a day - you get quicker when you know what you're doing! We started this at about 10.00 a.m. and had it done by 2.30 -ish. We had cups of tea and a sandwich lunch on the go.

Hazel said...

Lovely! I bet the happy couple were delighted!

You must have started with a mountain of plants! Were they all from the florist, or was there some hedgerow/garden trimming going on the day before?

PS Who's is the teddy on the piano??

Sue Garrett said...

You ARE a woman of many talents - it looks great!

Kath said...

The chrysanths, nigella (ours has all gone over) and gypsophilla were from the florist. The rest came from our gardens. On the porch and West Window arrangements we used buddleia from the bride's granny's garden. Granny sadly passed away a few weeks ago but we had her there in spirit.

There are 3 teddies Hazel. The church is dedicated to St Peter so there's a Petra and one called after another local church's patron saint. It's something to do with the Brownie Pack. They take one of the teds away with them when they go anywhere.

Sue Garrett said...

A lot of schools have travelling teddies - the children take them on holiday and take photos of them in different places to show back in school - sort of real life geography.

Kath said...

I used to work in a school GLA (heck, four years ago!) and the Ted at my sister's school spent a holiday weekend in the village and watered my toms and fed my chickens for his Teddy Diary!

By the way Bilbo, I haven't included wedding pics because I haven't asked people's permission. I could send you one or two on your email though.

Unknown said...

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. What a lucky bride.

The Boy Ollerton said...

Great efforts. Well done.

kitsapFG said...

What a charming way to frame the entry! You did a beautiful job on it and I am totally impressed!

Sewing Granny said...

Yet another beautiful archway! you always make the church look so lovely for these brides.