VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Chillies and home bred tomatoes

This is the largest of my 3 Cayenne chilli plants which is about 2 ft from pot rim to top and is full of chillies, many of which are beginning to ripen. There's a chilli planned for later in the week!


This is one of the cross-bred tomatoes. I thought this was going to be a hopeless case as the tomatoes in their early stage are just about white. They look like they have no ripening gene. Gradually they become gooseberry-ish and eventually take on a warmer colour. They finish up a deep red - these aren't ready yet. I picked the first when it was just red and it was ok but not special. Yesterday I picked the one I had left to get really deep red and I scoffed it straight off the plant. It was wonderfully sweet. It came from a very sweet selection from last year and I called this one Sweet Kate (which I understand Henry VIII called one of his wives but I mis-remember which one!). The two above need a couple more days of sun to ripen them. EDIT - I have decided to call this Fire and Ice because of its unusual combination of colours in the unripe and ripe fruits.


This is my other cross selection which I called Caitlin (after beloved first grand-child.) It has a good sweet/sharp balance (like her!) and a very tomatoey taste. Sounds obvious, but so many don't!

This is one of the Sungold selections. This is called Eleanor (guess the name of my second grand-child!). It is a touch more yellow than the original, drop shaped and slightly acidic (I don't like a bland tomato!). There are other selections still to try but these have been the first to ripen up. I do love tomatoes!

9 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Toms look fantastic, how lovely to call one of them after Catie.

Sue Garrett said...

You are a busy cross pollinator aren't you? Can you create a chilli that doesn't sting hands and take three days to wear off?

Mrs Dobby said...

Lovely looking tomatoes and chillies you have their, far ahead of ours!

Daniel Chapman said...

That is one big chili plant. Looks to be enjoying the greenhouse!

Kath said...

Wouldn't that chilli be something eh? But then I suppose it wouldn't taste hot.

Jo said...

I love tomatoes too, but mine are a way off yet, you're way ahead of me.

kitsapFG said...

Peppers and tomatoes sound wonderful about now! We have a while to wait for our first ones (especially the peppers) but it is fun to see how far along yours are - and the results of your crosses.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I like your blog! Your chilis and tomatoes look lovely. So green and healthy looking too!

Rebsie Fairholm said...

Those are wonderful! What a joy. Down here in the south, none of my tomatoes are anywhere near ripening yet.