VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 22 July 2010

Bringing in the seeds

These are the Lancashire Lad x Oregon Sugar Pod F2 seeds from the tall purple mangetout (no. 23) that I raved over a few weeks ago. The pods there are not crispy-dry so there will be a fair bit more seed than you can see in the picture.

I have also saved seeds from no. 24. Interesting that the two tall purple mangetout plants were next to each other. I did sort the seeds for colour and these were both in the light seeded group. They are showing a bit of dimpling which looks more like their Lancashire Dad than their Oregon Mum, my seeds of which are beautifully smooth like those of Goldensweet. I assumed that smooth meant starchy and wrinkled meant sugary but it's obviously not as clear cut as that.


Some of this year's crosses. Top is a few not entirely dry seeds of Magnum Bonum which received Carruthers' Purple Podded pollen. I collected them a bit early because I could see that the pods had tiny holes in - pea moth! I haven't had any problems with the peas I've eaten - I sow early and usually eat my peas before the moth has done the deed. I now have very few peas from this cross. Still - a seed is a seed eh?
On the right (in the pink) is Sugar Snap which has received Goldensweet pollen. On the left, Ezetha's Krombeck has pollinated Goldensweet.
I shall try to find space to grow the F1 of most of these next year. You don't need massive numbers of plants in the F1 generation - a wigwam each should do it. However, the Pea Patch will be mainly filled with the grow-outs of my F3 LLxOSP purple mangetouts.
The theory (and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, which will save me a lot of time and growing space getting in arse-about on my own) is that I shall grow the F3 generation next year, then in 2012 I'll grow about 20 - 24 seeds from each of the purple podded ones. I am assuming that, unless I'm spectacularly lucky - in which case I may buy my first and only lottery ticket - my purple mangetout will have genes for both purple and green. I don't want the green. Next year I think about a quarter will have 2 genes for purple, a half will have genes for both and another quarter will have 2 for green. I either eliminate the green as soon as I can tell by the lack of colour in the leaf axils (chickens will eat pea foliage!) or I grow them on and eat those. In 2012, if I grow my couple of dozen from each purple podded pea in the F3 generation, I shall fairly soon know which are producing only purple. Any which show a proportion of greens will go out. (Fat hen!) Then, in the F4, I should only be saving seeds from those which produce only purple. I think.
If you know differently, hands up!

2 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

I struggle to keep up with all the crosses and intricacies of the genetics but very much appreciate the first photo showing at what stage the pods had ripe seeds.

I'm growing HSL Robinson and Stephens from Hazel and want to keep seed for next year.

Matron said...

If it hasn't rained in London since I've been away I might be able to pick and dry my salmon flowered peas when I get back.