Buckets of 'pretties'.
Our Britain in Bloom group took a stall at the village show as usual. This year we were selling Tussie Mussies. These are scented nosegays stuffed with herbs and roses and lavender, which were a medieval alternative to the annual bath! You carried them around to distract you from the smell of your own and other people's armpits.
We made them up there and then, from plant material from our own gardens, and sold them for a princely £1 each. Bargain! You could even eat many of the constituents.
Our show was opened this year by Telly Gardener and professional Lancastrian Christine Walkden. She was interested in our activities and very encouraging about our various plantings around the village. I hope the 'In Bloom' judges were as impressed - they came yesterday. What a week!
And now for something completely different. The first seeds of my purple mangetouts are dry. I'm going to have to sit on my hands till I can sow them next spring. There are more on the plant and a second tall purple mangetout will also have seeds saved, although I preferred this one. Belt and braces though. It doesn't hurt to have a back-up!


9 comments:
Sounds like a very successful day, congrats on the winning the cup!
Congratulations on your firsts, seconds and thirds. I love local shows, I just wish that more people would support them. I used to love Christine's Garden when it was on tv. I wish she would make a new series.
Looks like a lot of fun, and what pretty nosegays! And cheap!
Very well done to everyone, lovely photo of you all and the stall looks great. Congrats on the Handicraft Cup - isn't it about time they let you keep it permanently? {grin}
what a bargain! £1? they look amazing. i'd want to take some of them off your hands - for aesthetic reasons, not to mask my own scent! congrats on the prizes. it sounds like you had a really great day.
Well done on scooping so many prizes
Well done to you on your wins, and I do love the tussie mussies! What a great community you have in the village.
Can you post a pic of your winning quilt?
I will as soon as possible Hazel. I've been a bit busy this week - and tomorrow is a day out with friends at Harlow Carr gardens. I'll photograph the quilt on Tuesday and pop a pic on.
Very nice Tussie Mussies. Hopefully no one needed to use them :-) Congrats on the awards.
Post a Comment