VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Wednesday, 14 July 2010

All we are saying ...

... is that the weather has cooled down this week. We've also had (not enough!) welcome rain. It's not cool enough for a jacket or cardi but a bit chilly for a tee shirt on its own. Waistcoat weather!

My previous patchwork waistcoats were made about 4 or 5 years back so I thought I was due for a new one. (It's not wonky, it's the way it's hanging - so to speak).

I just fell for this fabric and decided it was made for me. I have enough left to make myself some sort of bag - but I haven't decided on the style. I could make it just peas - or I could incorporate some of the fabrics in the waistcoat front.

Just a shot to demonstrate why I chose the name Fire and Ice for this Sungold cross. I've never seen a tomato with these characteristics before. Has anyone else? It's a lovely flavour and quite sweet. A good cropper too!

16 comments:

Mrs Dobby said...

Lovely waistcoat flum, I could see Mr D in one of them!

kitsapFG said...

I have heard of Pea Coats before but not quite like that! LOL!

Those Fire and Ice tomatoes look quite interesting.

Celia Hart said...

Very smart! Cooler but far from waistcoat weather here (24C) and only a mere brief spotting of rain so far (not enough for any water to run off the roof tiles into the gutters).

Are the yellow and white tomatoes ripe? or is the truss ripening randomly?

Celia

sewali said...

LOVE the waistcoat, that's just perfect!

Kath said...

Thanks folks!

Celia, the tomatoes are ripening randomly. They are white initially then sort of warm up and become deep red, but I like the contrast on the vines.

I can just inagine Mr D in a waistcoat!

BilboWaggins said...

LOVE the waistcoat, I think I might have some pea fabric odds & sods in a basket - do you need any more, I could bring them next week?

(Wonder what size Rebsie is?)

So glad you have finally had a bit of precipitation.

QuiltSue said...

The waistcoat is great fun. I'd love to see it in real life?

Kath said...

I shall wear it on Monday Sue!
If you have odds and sods I can use them in a bag Bilbo, but keep any big bits. After all, you might want to take up pea breeding yourself!

Richard W. said...

Now, those toms I really like the look of.

What sort of paint did you use? LOL!

Jo said...

That waistcoat is fab, and very apt for you.

Rebsie Fairholm said...

Oh, that is brilliant!

Lovely tomatoes too, and a lovely name you've chosen for them.

Rhizowen said...

Nice work

You should lend it to Rebsie for her next photo shoot - pea waistcoat and potato flowers in her hair - I bet that would help shift a few albums.

So are those tomatoes just a bit confused about which order they are supposed to ripen?

Kath said...

If Rebsie would like one - she knows where I live! (Really!)

I think they must be confused. (Bit like me!) They don't ripen in order, certainly.

Matron said...

An Awesome waistcoat! I hope you enjoy being the centre of attention wherever you go wearing that!

meemsnyc said...

The tomatos look good!

Kath said...

It's loud Matron - like me!