VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Saturday, 1 May 2010

First tomato!

How did I miss this one? I was talking to the toms as I sowed a few gherkins when I noticed that my Black Sea Man has a Black Sea Baby! They are still not in the greenhouse border as I'm sure we'll get a few more chilly nights in the next week, but nevertheless, BSM has produced the goods. The flowers do get a seriously good shaking about as they are traipsed from the greenhouse back to the kitchen each night, and the reverse journey in the morning which should help shaking the pollen from the anthers onto the stigma.
Good thing I was talking to the tomatoes.
(I talk to the peas, but they don't listen to me!)

13 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Wow, that's early, looks rather good though.

Glad you talk to yours - sometimes mine get Classic FM played to them when I am not there to chat!

Steve said...

Congratulations on your first tomato, looks like it is set as well. I think you should have a little word with it, to make sure it swells!
Mr TK

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I discovered your blog via Magic Cochin. I'm astonished you have a tomato fruiting. Ours are about six inches high. Maybe we are higher and colder than you, despite the use of the greenhouse. I am also a hen keeper but ours are Welsummers, Frisians and a Welsummer/Buff Orpington cross which is supposed to be being broody but hasn't quite got the message!

kitsapFG said...

How exciting! I love spotting the first baby tomato of the year. It's like finding treasure. :D

Celia Hart said...

Blimey!

Jo said...

Lovely. I can't wait until it's harvesting time again.

Kath said...

Welcome Elizabethm. I love reading Magic Cochin's posts!
I've just visited your blog - what a lovely place you live in. I'm sure windy hillsides make a huge difference to how early or late your crops are. I started that tomato (and 5 more) on January 31st because I always think the large fruited heritage toms need a long season.

Matron said...

Now that IS exciting! to see your first tomato is a real highlight and for a change you are about a month ahead of me here!

sewali said...

Congrats, another grandchild :o)

Kath said...

I shan't eat the others though, Ali!

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Tomatoes already... you lucky gal.
Though we are two weeks ahead here with the weather this Spring, the nights are still quiet chilly.
Love the chickens too.
Susan

Daniel Chapman said...

Those pesky peas :-)

Shaheen said...

What a wonderful sight. You've also introduced me to another variety.