


The first pod is from pea no. 7 which had bicoloured flowers but as you see, so far has a green pod.
Number 8, also a bicoloured flower, has a bicoloured pod. These are like the F1 pods which mingled green and purple in a rather impressionistic style.
There's even more colour in the pod of number 24.
The one white flowered pea which has set a pea-wag has set a green one as expected. I wonder if no. 7's will change colour? I wonder if any will have a totally purple pod?
As yet, I don't know the pod qualities. If the pod swells up evenly into a tube it will be a shelling pod. If it gets nobbly and you can see the peas through it, I'll have a mangetout. Time will tell.

10 comments:
The one white flowered pea which has set a pea-wag . . .
Where was I not paying attention - Please Miss, wot's a pea-wag?
'Tis (or at least, 'Twas) a Mancunian term for a pea-pod!
Ahhh .... thank you!
I think the green tinged with purple look prettier somehow.
When we grew purple podded peas colour was variable. I'll be interested to find out what you think of the peas produced.
Daddy was Lancashire Lad which was totally deep purple - almost black. I've grown others which were mixed in colour - for example, King Tut. Yes, the flavour is the final arbiter!
The bi-colour is kind of cool. I noticed my first pea bloom today on the Victorian climbing pea, still waiting on the snaps & snows to bloom.
I think the bi color is really beautiful - let's hope it is good tasting too to make it a winner!
No.7 looks like it's going to stay a greeny. It would be showing some colour by now - a purple stripe down the front edge - if it was going to change.
I had similar results with my crosses of purples and greens - there are always a few which have purple flowers and green pods. While most of the "colour" genes are inherited as a package deal, the "purple pod" genes seem to inherit much more independently, so they don't always show up alongside the purple flowers.
The purple blush ones are pretty. Hope you get a mangetout among them.
Exciting innit?!
Yeah! I haven't had so much fun with me clothes on for years!
Post a Comment