VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 16 May 2010

Frost and flowers

Frost damage on a tomato in the greenhouse.  The plants were all covered with fleece - you can still see the bubble wrap that surrounded them.  Two nights of -4 was a shock!










A potato in a tub also caught the frost.   I'm sure both plants will be ok.  The potatoes at the allotment fared worse.  The tops - only earthed up a couple of days before, had poked out again and were completely knocked back.  New growth is sprouting already though so I think the crop will be ok, if set back a week or two.


Tough as old boots, the crimson flowered broad beans are delightful.   I have just a dozen plants in the garden in flower, with another dozen to follow in the cold frame, but I've left them there until the weather is better - next week we're promised. 


We'll be having pea blossom by next week, I think.  There are several buds on the F1 peas at this stage.  This one, if you look underneath, shows hints of pink.  One is going to be white and one looks very pale although it's on a purple-axil-splodge plant.  They come out deeper in colour than you think, but I seem to have lighter and darker here.  Oh how I wish I had the virtue of patience!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the potatoes on my allotment got struck by the frost too... I'm really hoping they manage to make it :( I had some lovely salad blue in that I was hoping to save some seed from, but...

Really enjoy the blog by the way :)
Nellie x

Steve said...

Would you mind if I used your tomato picture on my blog Flummery?
I know it was bad luck for you, but your pictures are always so crystal clear.
MR TK

Kath said...

I'm sure if you don't give up and leave your Salad Blue spuds in you'll still get a crop Nellie. After all, farmers can't fleece up 20 acres!

Not at all Steve. You can use my pic if it will help someone identify frost damage.

BilboWaggins said...

We were wondering at dinner tonight how many new GYOers will loose their crops this month and be thoroughly disheartened, some will give up.

Maybe allotment waiting lists will become shorter eventually as people find that all this food growing lark isn't plain sailing or as "easy peasy" as the TV programmes make out.

Hazel said...

Another one here with frost damage this week on the potatoes - fortunately I'd earthed up last weekend, and it wasn't as cold here in the Midlands as it was with you in the frozen north!

Your crimson flowered broadies are looking good - well ahead of mine, although my witkiem manita are full of flowers.

~TastyTravels~ said...

Sorry about the frost! Those crimson beans are gorgeous! Wow!

sewali said...

That's a blow Flum, I don't think it got quite that cold down here, but we did have a couple of mornings of white grass.

Jo said...

It seems that most people have suffered some frost damage. I'm lucky really that I'm a little behind in getting everything planted out, it means that I haven't had much damage. It looks like my strawberries have had it though, so annoying. There's more flowers to follow though, so all's not lost.

Kath said...

No-one should be disheartened - there's still time to re-sow most of the crops - and failing that, garden centres will happily sell you more!

kitsapFG said...

Your damage seems pretty modest considering how cold it got down to for a series of days. The covers really do help. Looking forward to the pea bloom show.

Stefaneener said...

That doesn't seem completely okay. It's too late for this weather.

Matron said...

Your crimson broad beans are a couple of weeks ahead of mine (for a change) it's usually the other way round. I suppose I was just so late planting everything here. Still, looks like we are in for a few warm days so who knows what might happen.

Daniel Chapman said...

It certainly has been a chilly May all around the world.

Sewing Granny said...

I also had a lot of frost damage on night this week - but as I don't grow food it is not such a worry. I hope that your little plants will recover Flum. They are begining to show such promise.