VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 23 May 2010

First spuds



Oh the smug feeling that comes with eating the very first new potatoes of the year. These little beauties - the delightful Lady Crystle (one day I'll learn to spell that!) - were grown in a large shrub tub under the greenhouse staging.  They were fleeced up when frost was forecast and generously watered over the last couple of weeks.  I furtled these from under the soil so the 3 original plants are still growing.  More spuds to come!

Desperate for a pea!

A couple of views of my pea trellises with the mainly purple but a few white flowers.  As good as sweet peas to look at.  (But you can't pick them and they don't have scent - but you can eat the pods!)  Today the first flowers are leaning towards going over so I will soon have little pods appearing.  After a week of dashing in and out like a mad woman to see what's flowering I shall be doing the same to check on pod production. 


Here's the start of my next project.  On the left is Goldensweet, a yellow mangetout, said to have been used by Mendel in his genetics work.  (It never opens further than this). On the right is Ezetha's Krombek Blauwschok, a pretty pink-flowered little mouthful!  I have found it one of the more pleasant of the purple podders to eat fresh.  In the coming week, forecast to become cooler, I shall have a go at removing the anthers from some Goldernsweet flower buds and transferring pollen to the stamen from some EKB flowers.  The trick is then to tie a bit of string, wool, cotton or what have you, to the pollinated Goldensweet buds to make sure they don't end up on the dinner plate!

I have another cross I'd like to do this year but it depends on two more of my peas flowering co-incidentally.

9 comments:

Jo said...

I'm envious of your potatoes, those first of the season are always delicious. I suppose I should have a furtle too, but I'll give them a little longer yet.

kitsapFG said...

New potatoes (especially the first of the season!) are always divine. My potatoes are growing with abandon but I have a while yet before I can steal some new potatoes for the dinner table.

Hazel said...

Cor - spuds look wonderful! No wonder you're smug, well done!

My first earlies have been in 10 wks, but are nowhere near ready - maybe a furtle in a couple of weeks...

sewali said...

How exciting, it's like digging for gold!

Kath said...

These went in early in February so I reckoned they had had about 14 weeks. High time to furtle!

Richard W. said...

'I furtled these from under the soil.....'

'Furtled'! Now that's a great word, if ever I saw one.

BilboWaggins said...

Those spuds look delicious. Hope you had oodles of melted butter all over them and s*d the calories!

QuiltSue said...

I'm so jealous, ours haven't even flowered yet. I must admit we were later planting them though.

Matron said...

Ahh the first new potato of the year has to be one of the highlights of the gardening calendar! I hope you enjoyed them, the taste is just to die for!