VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 7 May 2010

A chilly start to May

The first flower buds are appearing on the F2 peas. Those with no trace of anthocyanin are further on. The plants with the purple splotch in the leaf axils either show no sign yet, or just a teeny blob. These tall, green plants seem likely to have white flowers, which is what I'd expect. If it would warm up a touch, and the cold north-east winds would drop, things might hurry along. I'm too impatient to be a gardener really!

Bean! These are protected in the garden room at night, which is double glazed so warmer than the greenhouse. They are out in the sunshine in the day unless it's particularly perishing.
I spent a happy half hour yesterday designing a couple of t-shirts for the summer, using a company called Spreadshirt that I used last year. (Other T-shirt design companies are available. Probably.) Anyway, they have the facility for you to upload your own photographs to combine with text. Watch this space!

7 comments:

Jo said...

My first batch of peas went out at the weekend, I must sow some more so that I get a longer harvest. I have sown my dwarf beans and they are in the greenhouse, but I haven't sown my climbing beans yet, a job for this weekend I think. I'm looking forward to seeing how your experiments turn out this year.

BilboWaggins said...

Enviously . . . your beans are looking wonderful. My pea shoots are barely an inch high and the beans are still hiding under the compost. I feel I sowed very late, although reading other blogs and comments, perhaps not. They are both HSL varieties from Hazel and it felt wrong not to use them.

kitsapFG said...

My peas are at the bottom tier of my horizontal supports. Like you, we have had several days of very cold weather, in fact we had a record low-high on Wednesday. Luckily it seems to be short lived and the weather was a good 10 degrees warmer on Thursday.

The beans and peas look great - looking forward to seeing what you did with the t-shirt.

Stefaneener said...

I've been so behind on blog reading! So much going on in your garden -- its' pretty nice.

Rebsie Fairholm said...

There does seem to be a strong correlation between the leaf axil blob and the flower colour. From what I've read they are controlled by separate genes, but they must be very closely linked because they always seem to go together. In my experiments, purple splotch means purple flowers and no splotch means white flowers, and I've never yet had any exceptions. Be interesting to see if you find the same thing with yours.

Daniel Chapman said...

Its been freezing here as well lately. Even some snow a few hours north of use. Don't you hate being tempted with a warm spring and then have it taken away!

BilboWaggins said...

Hi Dan, snow on the top of Skiddaw this morning - brrrrrr!