VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 29 April 2010

First beans and tomato flowers

I sowed several types of bean about 10 days ago. Mainly they are dwarf french beans but a couple are climbing french that I wanted to give a good start to. Several have begun to show themselves above the soil, including Vermont Cranberry, Soldier and the first of my Guardianship seeds. However, the one that's showing several and will be the first to open up completely is Yoghurt, one of my own selections from the accidental cross - see the extra pages to the right. It seems to be a good doer even at this stage.

This is Derby Striped, one of my early sowing of heritage tomatoes. It has several flowers open, and to the left you can see one of the big flowers on Brandywine.


This is from a later sowing of my cross. Good healthy plant here! I am growing seed each year from the best selection of the previous year and I have 2 strains of this one.

12 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Wow, those toms look superb, it's amazing seeing what you are growing.

I watched Rebsie's video last night - I think I should steer clear of you two :) , I can feel some plant breeding coming on in future years!

kitsapFG said...

The tomatoes look vibrant and productive! I am always impressed with your plant breeding efforts.

Kath said...

Plant breeding is amazing. I thought about it for a bit, assumed I couldn't do it, had a go and found it was easy. It's addictive. I have so many ideas now!

BilboWaggins said...

Oh dear, this is going to be a slippery slope!

I have always assumed it is terribly difficult and you need a biology degree - you & Rebsie are showing me that it is achieveable (although I do not ever expect to understand genetics like you two do)

Kath said...

Rebsie understands the genetics - I blag it! After all, the breeders of old didn't need to understand it all.

sewali said...

It's very exciting to see everyone's seeds germinating, I really must put some in ...

Matron said...

It really is getting to that time of year when the tender seeds have to be planted! It was such a long Winter that time has crept up on me, and gosh! it will be May this weekend!

Jo said...

I've sown my dwarf beans, but got my climbers yet to do. Your tomatoes look lovely and healthy, and flowers open already, you'll be getting a harvest much sooner than I will.

Rebsie Fairholm said...

Time for me to confess that I only have a very simplistic understanding of the genetics too. I read up on small areas of it and steer away from the swathes of stuff I don't understand, thus giving the impression that I know what I'm doing. I failed my science O-levels and have no training other than poking a few flowers to see what happens. But a little knowledge goes a long way, and some of the most wonderful things happen where you least expect them anyway.

Your tomatoes are way ahead of mine! They look fabulous.

Kath said...

I have science A levels but no biology! However, to me, the spirit of scientific enquiry is summed up in "I wonder what would happen if I ..."

I don't know a lot of the science behind genetics and plant breeding, but I can read! Sadly, I'm at the age when I forget things fast - I re-read a lot too!

maureen said...

Wow ! flowers on the tomato plants already. I am both impressed with all this talk of genetics and also your early flowers.
I came looking for the Rhubarb and Orange jelly recipe (not found yet) and see you have lots of other interesting stuff to sidetrack me.
Have a great bank holiday week-end. M

Daniel Chapman said...

Congrats on the tom blooms! Good to hear the vermont cranberry are coming up. I planted all my beans in pots on the 26th. Still holding my virgule for the first sprout :-)