VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 22 April 2010

Birds and eggs

This little chap stunned himself by flying into the garden room through the open door and attempting to fly straight out again through the closed window. Himself gathered the little thing up gently while I rushed to get the camera. He then placed him up in the damson tree.

He sat up there for 10 minutes or so, initially with his beak open as if panting but when he pulled himself together he was off. He reappeared later to take advantage of the feeder hanging in the tree. No harm done this time.

Basket number 2 - definitely WORSE than the first! What I have learned from this exercise is that steamed willow dries out much more quickly than brown willow. While I was working, the rods were visibly drying out and going pale and brittle. I'm not satisfied with this but in the absence of any other home made egg basket it will serve. It's very ugly but very strong - why are ones worst creations indestructible?

13 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

What a pretty greenfinch, glad he was OK.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - your basket looks OK to me. Would it be too "twee" to put some straw in the bottom to cushion the eggs? It would hide some of the imperfections which you claim are there.

Clare Channing said...

Not ugly Kath but trés rustique as they say here in France.
It serves a useful purpose and, as KK always says it's form over fashion not vice versa. Well done, I'm sure anything that I made like that would be EXTREMELY rustique!

Ottawa Gardener said...

You're making willow baskets. What a nice project! As for your feathered friend, glad he's alright.

Kath said...

Strangely, Bilbo, himself suggested lining it with straw too!

I've got some willow cuttings rooting in water as we speak so I hope to have my own supply of brown willow come next spring!

I would have preferred it a little less 'rustique' myself, Clare!

Jo said...

Glad the little birdie was ok. When I was a child, we used to have birds come down the chimney and get stuck at the back of the fire. We used to wedge the fire away form the wall so that the bird could escape into our living room, and then catch it and let it go free. Your basket is lovely. Imperfections are what bring the charm to home made things.

sewali said...

I was going to suggest you made a nice quilted patchwork lining ... :o)

Matron said...

that reminds me of my first attempts at the potters wheel a few years ago. They were clumpy and heavy (now used as pencil pots) but you will grow attached to them as time goes on because they were your first efforts!

Daniel Chapman said...

What a cool bird! Never seen one like that around here. Good to hear it recovered.

Sue Garrett said...

Must admit at first I thought the little greenfinch had laid the eggs. I thought no wonder he was panting - not only were the eggs very big but he's don't usually lay eggs!

Kath said...

No, not HIS eggs Green Lane Allotments! That made me smile!

Nelly said...

I'd be most chuffed if I'd made a willow basket to collect my new chooks' eggs in! (Are my aspirations so lowly?!) Your perfect ones must be beautiful indeed! I've just moved to our plot of land on Skye and it's surrounded by willow. Can I learn to make baskets too? Rustic would be fine!

Kath said...

Hi Nelly - I'd recommend the book "Handmade Baskets from Nature's colourful Materials" by Susie Vaughan. Her illustrations and straight forward style mean that anyone can have a go. This egg basket was only my second try! I hope to improve.

Nelly said...

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll see if I can hunt it out as I'd really like to try. Having inherited so much willow with the plot it would seem such a waste not to! Just found a pic of your first attempt; most impressed!