
The blue and yellow pansies and the miniature daffodils are just out in time for the Easter feast.

Since my willow course I decided to buy a book on basket making. This is the start of my first effort. You need a weight to hold the base flat. This isn't a real ammonite - it's a cast. Heavy though!

I started to turn the sides with buff willow which has been steamed and stripped of its bark. Just near the top of this section you can maybe see a green layer. This is eucalyptus. It should really be gathered earlier than this, before the sap begins to rise. It was a bit brittle so I kept to a single round. Next year though, I know when to cut it!

This is the current state. It is waiting for the rest of my brown willow to soak. It needs 3 - 5 days and I found it difficult to estimate how much I would need. When I've woven an edge I will weave in the uprights. It's the wonkiest bowl you can imagine but the next one won't be made with the book open in front of me!

The reason I had trouble estimating the amount of willow is that I was also making obelisks. I made one for a friend's birthday and tittivated up the two I had out for sweet peas. As they were just bamboo and string I had to disassemble them and start again really.
We have been sussing out the local river bank and hedgerows for willows - plenty growing - must keep in with the local farmers!
Tonight I am singing the Exultet at the Easter Vigil service. Anyone who know this will realise I have a long sing in store! I look forward to a G&T when I get back.
13 comments:
There is no end to your talents! The basket looks good, do you have an intended use yet?
Drool . . . that basket is looking fabulous.
Happy Easter. Your basket looks amazing. I love willow obelisks, so much nicer to look at than canes (which is what I use).
When I grow up I'd like to be as multi-talented as you please.
And a very happy Easter to you too. Hmmm, basket weaving, now that's something I hadn't thought of before. Looks like fun. Loads of willow around these parts so, who knows!
Bread rolls I think, Ali - it won't look so wonky when it's full!
I wish I were multi-talented Sue. I'll have a go at most thngs - I'd like to be excellent at something though!
Really, if you looked closely (I've shown you the good side!) you'd realise that even the most brass-necked Romany wouldn't have the nerve to try knocking on your door and seling it to you!
Get a book Clare - I have Handmade Baskets (from nature's colourful materials) by Susie Vaughan. The trouble is, you go round lusting after people's prunings!
I tried to weave some baskets from honeysuckle vines. I could make small ones -- it was fun. You are certainly one to turn your hand to many different things. I must make better climbing structures for things like beans.
It looks like spring. Enjoy.
Those willow wigwams look fantastic! Much nicer than the bamboo efforts I usually construct!
Love the obelisks and the basket making is going well too. Hope the singing went well and the G&T was waiting for you upon your triumphant return home. :D
I just planted almost the same pansies last week. You have good taste :-)
Your obelisks are great - I watched Gardeners' World on Friday and Toby made some wigwams for sweet peas, so yesterday dragged OH off to find 'whippy' willow. You say you are soaking them .... are they totally immersed? For how long? Do I have to strip the bark? I hope that you don't mind answering these.
Hi susieq100 - I'm soaking the willow because it's dried willow. You can weave fresh willow but you really need to gather it before the sap begins to rise - they say between November and March, and gather one year old growth. Dried brown willow, which I have, needs 3 - 5 days soaking. You don't need to strip the bark - in fact for outside use it's better with the bark on. The paler willow in the basket is stripped of its bark but it won't go outdoors.
They are soaking in the bath - 4ft willow rods just about fill it from end to end! Fortunately we have another room with a shower!
Those teepees are looking great! I am gearing up to make ne today actually- thanks for the great inspiration!
Post a Comment