This could be a mantra for my whole life! However, I don't like to tidy up my flower beds too fervently in autumn because I believe the cover gives protection to new shoots. This was the sorry looking state of my cutting flower border yesterday morning. I gave it a good clear up and removed the annual (and some perennial) weeds. I could see that under some of the perennials, the day lilies and the lady's mantle, for instance, the new shoots were good and strong and poking through. Daffs are showing, so spring IS on the way.
I planted a Brunnera called Jack Frost - with silver edged leaves. I love Brunnera and brought one from our old garden. It had been there about 8 years and has done 9 years here - a great plant with a long flowering season - like forget-me-nots on tall spikes. I also put in a deep red Astrantia. This is another plant I'm fond of - I only have the white form but it's invaluable in a cut bunch. The last was Rudbeckia goldsturm. I grew an annual Rudbeckia called Green Eyes last year - I have some seed so I'll try them again but I wanted the perennial too.
Snowdrops always do it for me - you really believe that the better weather will come when you see these - even though snow has started today and looks like being with us for several days yet. Flowers in this weather are so cheerful. Most of what I have in flower just now is white - the Viburnum tinus is a mass of flower now and I even have one or two tired looking Iceberg roses out.

3 comments:
If I do have snowdrops they are under about 5 inches of snow at the moment! Haven't seen this kind of weather for years.
So are mine now! Overnight we have had about 6" of snow. Certainly a change. When I was a schoolgirl (in the olden days) we had overshoes as part of our uniform because thick snow in winter was the norm.
How satisfying to be clearing up a border like that.
Want to come and help deal with the Ground Elder and ivy {giggle}? You know I don't really mean it, I need you to dig a Test Pit instead.
Post a Comment