
With our local Natural History Society we visited
Tophill Low which is a Yorkshire Water reservoir and water treatment site. There are two huge reservoirs, called the D reservoir and the O reservoir because from the air they look just like the capital letters. There are always lots of water birds on these but they tend to be in the middle on choppy water and quite hard to see even with binoculars. However, there are also lagoons, ponds, borrow pits and such like, which have been helped along with heavy machinery to form lakes with islands and spits of ground so the waders also get a look in. We saw some wonderful birds - highlights for me were the grey wagtail on the reservoir edge and the water rail in the trees around the visitor centre's feeding area.
Spot the nest! This was very small, possibly a wren's work from last year.

I was delighted when I got home to find that some of the peppers and aubergines sown on February 6
th have now germinated. I've whipped off their poly bag to let them see a bit more daylight.
Yesterday I sowed a few more peppers and the first tomatoes -
Brandywine and some of my
Sungold selection.
3 comments:
Just so exciting to get your first germinations of the year. I gave up sowing aubergines from seed because they took so long to crop. About 9 months tender care and I don't even like eating them that much! Good luck with the Brandywine, they are one of the best tasting.
Hello -I wandered here from Purple Podded Peas. You have some seedlings already! How very exciting. That little nest is so sweet - it's inspired to go and search t'internet for nest identification tips. Emma x
What a lovely day out, congrats on the germinations.
Post a Comment