VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 20 February 2009

The yearly miracle ...

... of new growth. These onion sets and a tray of shallots were set out in compost in the cold greenhouse a few weeks ago to allow them to root before they are transferred to the garden. Partly this is so that they get a good start when they do go in, and partly because I knew I'd be 'messing about' in the garden for a few weeks so I wanted to avoid putting anything directly in the soil in the meantime. The messing about consists of digging out a couple of inches of soil from the area that will be the hen-run and spreading it evenly around the other veg beds. This will allow me to put some flagstones and gravel (on landscape fabric) in the run so I can hose it out when necessary. The aim it so keep the run from becoming a mud-bath and make it easier to clean.


Little red nubs of new rhubarb are beginning to show through the soil. I shall give them their usual top-dressing of garden compost as soon as I dismantle one of the bins. It has reminded me that I still have a few puddings-worth of rhubarb in my freezer. I feel a cobbler coming on this weekend!
All the seeds sown in the last couple of weeks - mainly aubergine, peppers and the first two types of tomato - my own Sungold un-hybrids (these will be F3 plants) and a few Brandywine, are all up and growing well. In the last couple of days I have sown some Crimson Flowered and some Red Epicure broad beans and some Samara (heritage) and Bright Lights Chard in modules in the greenhouse.
Today I've put in a dozen of my Lancashire Lad x Oregon Sugar Pod seeds into root trainers. This will be my F1 generation and should give uniform plants. Seeds from those next year will give me a spread of genetic material to start making selections of my own.
I've also sown the first of my Tiger Tom (heritage) x Sungold seeds. As Sungold is already a hybrid, heaven knows what the shake-down of genes will reveal. Who said gardening was boring? "Not I," said the cat!

7 comments:

Hazel said...

Lovely to see the first signs of the new season, isn't it?

Mind you, the amount of time I spend in fearsome scrutiny of the pots of seeds that I've sown, I'm surprised that they aren't too embarrassed to sprout!

Our rhubarb is (unsurprisingly) a little further ahead of yours - we have one particularly early crown that is only a couple of weeks away from first pickings!

Daniel Chapman said...

I also have entirely to much rhubarb in the freezer still. Do you have any good recipes for rhubard?

I have yet to get much done in the garden as it is still frozen here in Ontario, Canada. My cold tolerant crops can not go in until April, I have been pocking around in my cold frame though.

I'm going to add your blog to my blog roll so I can keep checking in.

BilboWaggins said...

I am sure when the run is complete your Girls will be very pleased you did so much "messing about"

Matron said...

Yes! my shallots are just starting to show just like yours. I also found a black plastic dustbin in a skip last week and I have put it over my rhubarb to blanch it. I peeked at it yesterday and the colours of the stems are a vibrant pink. Will have to photograph it for a blog!

Kath said...

Hi Hazel - this variety of rhubarb (Stockbridge Arrow) although the name suggests it might be forward, is never very early.

Hi Dan - I like rhubarb stewed with sugar and a little stem ginger (the sort you get preserved in a jar in thick syrup.) Chop a lump of the ginger very finely and add it to the rhubarb when it's cooking. Then I make pies, crumbles, cobblers, anything really - and the ginger really gives it a shot in the arm.
I also like rhubarb in any chutney recipe. Just replace some of the fruit - apple for instance, with rhubarb.

Still messing about Bilbo. I've mentioned that I want to collect the pullets in 5 weeks time - we are slowly creaking into action!

My Dad had an old metal bucket with a small hole rusted in the bottom Matron. He used to blanch rhubarb with that. Jealousy rears its ugly head - people will be eating new season rhubarb before me. Again!

silverpebble said...

The shot of your rhubarb is VERY exciting - I have yet to investigate mine. Exciting to hear of your crosses - looking forward to seeing what comes of them!

Daniel Chapman said...

I am not the biggest fan of ginger but it sure sounds like a winning combination. I will have to give that a try, I think I have seen the jarred ginger at the grocery store. I will keep you posted on my results :-)