VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 6 February 2009

Sowing (not snowing!)

I've had a sowing session today - 4 lots of long-season plants.
Pepper California Wonder - favourite of Himself.
Pepper Nardello - sweet one from the Heritage Seed Library.
Pepper Trifetti - hot one from the Heritage Seed Library.
Finally - Aubergine Black Beauty. I had decided not to bother with aubergines again after a strange long, thin one a couple of years back. Next to useless. However, I got these towards the end of last year as free seeds (with lots more) from the Grow Your Own magazine as Member of the Month on their forum, The Grapevine. So, I wouldn't have bought them, but I'm prepared to give them a go. The price is right! The pots will go onto the dining room windowsill so they can come in at night to keep the temperature up.
I will leave tomatoes until March, I think.

The snows of last Monday began to wash away on Monday evening as the rain began. Since then there's been no more snow here although we've seen on the news how badly some parts of the country have been affected. Roll on the Spring!

2 comments:

A Green and Rosie Life said...

Hello - I've never been succesful with aubergines (and also had a useless long thin varity last year) but I will keep trying becasue my husband loves them. But I think I'll get a couple of plants. rather that tryting from seed.

Rosie x

Kath said...

Hi Rosie - welcome to my blog!
I buy in cucumber plants. I only need a single plant to give us enough cucumbers for the summer but seed for the all-female types cost about £1 each. I go to a garden centre and buy a well grown plant for 50p.

I'm always amazed to get 500 seeds in a packet of aubergines. Really, who needs that many?