VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 20 July 2008

The village show -scarecrows and stalls


There is usually a Village Scarecrow competition in the week preceding the Village Show and this year's theme was Television Characters. Bob the Builder has spent the last week on the verge near next door's house.


The show itself features stalls, fairground-type attractions, all the usual tombola stuff and rides for the children. There's a popular Beer Tent (or Dads' Creche) and a fish and chip van and ice-cream van too. These lovelies are some of the Village in Bloom committee and our stall had hoop-la, darts and a coconut shy to raise funds for further planting in the village.



The other great attraction is the WI produce show. There are classes for cookery, baking, crafts, flower arranging, fruit, veg and flowers. How could I not enter?



I usually enter the latest quilt and I put in the one that's going next week to the Festival of Quilts for display in the middle of August. This got a First and won me the Handicrafts Cup. I also entered various fruit, flowers, veg, a miniature flower arrangement and a jam and a chutney. I put 16 items in the show and got 14 places, 7 of them for first place. This resulted in being awarded the cup for Fruit, flowers and vegetable. THEN, largely I think, because I'd spread myself widely and entered crafts, flower arranging and cookery, I got the Challenge Shield for most points overall. Need a bigger mantelpiece!

In the evening we had tickets to the production by the dance class our grand-daughter attends. It started at 7.00 and by the interval at 9.00, the little ones (she's not yet 4) were shattered, exhausted and cranky so we left at that point. She looked mega-cute in her dance outfits but has never been one for 'obeying orders' and together with the rest of the under fives, meandered and made it up a bit, even departing from the stage at one point! It must be like herding cats, running a show like that.



This morning our new deep freezer has arrived, so I shall get it switched on tomorrow and freeze the last of the gooseberries.

4 comments:

Hazel said...

Hey, clever Flum - and what a weekend! Well done you (and young Mistress Flum with her dancing too!)

As ever you go in with an enviable attitude and confidence - to quote you from elsewhere..

I decided I would just enter anything I had the right produce for, regardless of whether it looked particularly good.

I'm going to do that with the Hill show! Don't care if this year's marble cake comes third (out of three) again!

Today's lesson: if you pitch in and give it a whirl you may be pleasently surprised!

Hurrah! Three cheers for Flum!

Kath said...

Good for you Hazel - and look out The Hill Allotment Show!

BilboWaggins said...

Whooppee - do! Mucho congratulations, all very well deserved, you do realise all those tropies will collect d*st (sorry, I know that is a 4-letter word!) You are lucky having so many community activities in your village, our WI closed down a few years back and apart from the annual Children's Carnival (this weekend, must sort out the photos) there does not seem to be much going on. Please don't suggest that would be a nice project for me - Bag End is more than enough right now!

Sewing Granny said...

Those trophy's look rather good on your mantlepiece - have you come down off cloud 9 yet? or are you still floating 7 foot off ground?

Well done you!!