VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 31 July 2008

Des Res


This is Spadger Villas. It's a 3 roomed, 6 doored residence for the local sparrow population. When we first came here a fair bit of work was required on the house, including new soffits and fascias (which is which? As one of our children used to say, which are the hundreds and which are the thousands?). This made the local sparrows homeless - they had been nesting in the roof. Himself made them a sparrow nest box which has been on the side of the garage. Just before we had some work done on the garage this spring, it had to come down. It had now been re-erected just below where they used to nest, above the back door. No-one will come prospecting for a new home until next spring but they'll have got used to its new situation.
Unhybridising update
The Sungolds are in flower - in fact one has set a fruit. It's all happening. I also lifted and potted up 3 plants which had erupted from the soil I put in the bean area when I changed the border soil from the greenhouse. That side of the border had contained Berry F1 last year. One of the plants is large leafed and has round fruits and two have plum-shaped fruits. (Berry is a sort of strawberry shaped tomato.) The tasting will be interesting.

2 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Oh, that's a bit smart! I would say "does Himself take commissions" but you'd calmly point out that I am probably quite capable of making something similar myself. If I asked nicely could you give me a heads up on rough dimensions please?

Kath said...

I'll check for you!