
We've been busy the last few days looking after our first grand-daughter while Mummy and Daddy were involved with the birth of this little treasure! Grand-daughter 2 is exhibiting nocturnal symptoms, sleeping like this all day and awake, active and starving all night! Something's going to have to change. She seems to be a very relaxed and contented baby and the biggest problem looks like being Big Sister's hearty desires to play with her like a dolly and carry her around! Fortunately there are 2 adults to keep tabs on things.

As to my garden babies - here's the latest pic of my un-hybrids. The two large pots in the foreground contain the 4 each of the Piccolo tomato seedlings and the background ones have 4 of the Sungold plants each. (Oh yes, and one with big lillies!) The Sungolds have flower buds and in some cases have open flowers. They are stopped at the first truss of flowers so I should get fruit set before long. As you can see, the Piccolo went in much later but I still hope for flower and fruit this season. If necessary I'll bring the pots indoors (haven't told Himself this yet!) so I can ripen them on the vine and get a decent flavour.
We now have a freezer again, having had the old one die on us not long after we moved here. We no longer had an allotment and the crop space in the garden only grew a bit each year so we've managed up to now. At this point it seemed that it would be worth having one of our own (I'd pinched space in my sister's which is not ideal - for either of us.) The new freezer contains gooseberries, tayberries, rhubarb and broad beans at the moment but will soon have damsons, french beans and hedgerow fruits. I'm going to have a bash at tayberry jam (when the baby hyperactivity has died down a bit). I made a batch of tayberry muffins using my friend at Oak Cottage's raspberry muffin recipe. They were so good I think I'll have another go, and also a batch with the last of the blackcurrants. These freeze well so I can de-frost one for breakfast without having to eat the whole batch (shame!)

3 comments:
All babies look wonderful, great to hear everything is going well. Thanks for reminding me about SewAli's Raspberry Muffin recipe . . . note to self, must dig it out from whatever (safe) place I saved in it and do some baking next week.
Well I have to report that the blackcurrant muffins are brilliant - and I am open-freezing another batch of blackcurrant and of tayberries for further muffin use!
Even though most babies are born looking like Winston Churchill, they are a bit gorgeous aren't they?
The babies all look very healthy, congratulations to all :o). The muffin recipe is on my blog if you can't find your safely filed one Bilbo. I've decided that putting recipes on the blog is a great way to keep track of them! I've got some tayberries in the freezer, must have a go with them, thanks for the idea Mrs Flum.
Post a Comment