VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 3 July 2008

Adding to the seed bank.

Visited a plant nursery today and found the Red Alert tomato seeds I'd been looking for, to grow on the allotment next year. I grew them some years ago at my old allotment and we both loved the flavour. I didn't buy them though - I found a rather tatty looking plant of Red Alert for sale - much cheaper than the seeds. It is pot-bound but it's got fruits on already so I'll give it a bit of TLC and get seeds for next year AND fruits for this year! Result!

3 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

I guess the seed you save will be much fresher this way, clever Flummery!

Matron said...

So wonderful to find your favourite variety then to keep saving seeds year after year. I planted two very expensive beefsteak seeds this Spring, and from the two plants I have more than a dozen side cuttings and extra plants. Just how many seeds might I have next year from just two seeds!!

Kath said...

Now that's riches Matron! I do the same with Green Zebra. It's a large, late-fruiting stripey green tomato but when it's halved and grilled it's absolutely brilliant. I always save the seed and grow 2 or 3 plants and the original seed was bought about 12 years ago.