VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 11 July 2008

Jam and Jerusalem

On Tuesday I made Gooseberry and Elderflower jam. The elderflowers generally are in full bloom when the gooseberries are ready so this is a fairly standard jam, but I had my work cut out finding elder still in flower. The lane I go down is a short metalled road leading to a farm, after which it becomes a green lane for a couple of miles, so you can comfortably pick wild fruits and flowers without the taint from petrol fumes. The only place I could still find elderflowers was on the shady side of the hedge. Last weekend I saw loads of them but they have gone over very quickly. If I'd waited another week I wouldn't have been able to find any.


On Thursday evening I was booked to give a talk on patchwork and quilting to the village WI. I stripped the beds and sofas of several family members as well as our own, to produce a display showing as many different techniques and styles of patchwork as I could. I didn't arrange them at all - this photo was taken before most of the members arrived - so that people would feel that it was ok to pick them up, handle them etc. I took magazines with illustrations of other styles and techniques and I also took along a lot of books. (Ah! Pretty pictures!) I was also asked if any of those on display was my entry to the village show this year. I said it was embargoed until 12.00 noon on the day!

It's amazing how you think you only know 20 minutes worth of info on something and find yourself thinking you'd better stop after an hour! I started with some definitions and a bit of history and it went on from there. I encouraged people to stop me and ask questions throughout the talk - and there was a lot of interest. People stayed afterwards to look at the books and turn over the quilts etc. I gave them a couple of little draw-string jewellery bags, lavender bags and a shopping bag to add to their raffle which was really appreciated. Even I enjoyed it!

Maybe in a couple of years time I will give them a talk on veg breeding? See who falls asleep first!

3 comments:

sewali said...

Two of my favourite things - jam making and quilting! I'm making gooseberry chutney today.

Michelle said...

Gooseberry and elderflower! What a delicious combination!

Seahorse said...

Gosh, you've been so busy since I was last here!

The quilts look so beautiful. I'd certainly roll up for a talk on veg breeding, your experiments are fascinating!