VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 10 July 2008

Vegetables as Art



Aren't these beautiful? Monet beans! They are dwarf borlotti beans and it's the first time I've grown them. I'm also growing the climbing borlotti, most of which I shall save for drying for winter use. I've picked a handful of these, some peas, a few mangetout and dug some Anya potatoes for tonight's meal. I have to admit that in art terms the spuds have a touch of the Tracy Emin about them! Their flavour is lovely but they'd never win a beauty contest. Unmade bed, definitely.


One of the friends who came for lunch yesterday said, "This is the only place I come for a meal where I'm served flowers!" I can't think why. As a person who likes salad but is less than besotted with lettuce, I like to serve flowers in the summer. The hemerocallis above, (day lily) has quite a substantial petal and is very nice on the plate. I also served raw mangetout peas, nasturtium leaves and borage flowers. If I'd had more than 2 nasturtium flowers, they'd have gone in too. So would the petals of the calendulas if they hadn't been at the far end of the garden - idle beggar! I did put them on a bed of 2 types of oak-leaf lettuce. I tend to think of lettuce as calorie offsetting.

Salads as art!

2 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

A couple of years back it was "the thing" in the US longarm world to make lime green and pink quilts. Some of them were very pretty but your version is beautiful and tasty!

Robbiegirl said...

Yum, flowers!

I made a salad the other day with nasturtiums, pansies, violets, lawn daises, borage flowers and the last few primulas.

I love the expression on people's faces when you serve them flowers!