VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Unhybridising gets addictive!

I bought a punnet of Piccolo tomatoes (which I looked up on Google and found to be an F1 hybrid) last Wednesday. Vine-ripened, lovely and juicy, sweet and acid at once. I squirted the seeds from one and spread them around some kitchen towel to dry. On Friday I scraped half a dozen off and sowed them in a small pot. Today one is through and several more are appearing. F2 here we come! Maybe I can breed my own woodwind section?

Realistically I think this is the last chance I will get to have tomatoes for a tasting from this year's sowing. I had hoped to sow some more Sungold from this year's crop but I won't get any ripe if I do. (Won't stop me collecting seeds though!) Next Spring, here I come!

2 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

It seems you have such a short window of opportunity in which to sow, oh well, spend the rest of the year sewing (grin) and thinking about next years unhybridising!

Anonymous said...

I did the same but was under the impression that piccolo was open pollinated
http://store.tomatofest.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TF-0380H

Too late now as they are already starting to fruit.