VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 24 January 2010

Sweet peas and other stuff

I've had several pots of sweet peas in the cold frame with the lights propped up since October. They are self saved seeds and I pinched out the tops when they were about 4" high. They looked sturdy enough to go out so I made a couple of wigwams in the front border and planted them around the supports.

I still have bought seed to sow in March but I thought I'd give the self-saved a go. They came from blue flowers. I'll be interested to see what colour they flower!

Speaking of peas, I decided to get out the seeds of my crossed pea. A couple of years ago I crossed some Lancashire Lad (heritage purple flowered and podded) peas with Oregon Sugar Pod, a green mangetout. It would be great to find a home-bred purple sugar pod amongst the offspring! The seeds here seem to be divided broadly into 2 groups, a paler green pea and a smaller, darker pea with purplish markings. I sowed a big pot of each so we'll see how it pans out.

It was a mild morning (which is why I felt like planting out the sweet peas) so I put on the elderly fleece jacket that I use for gardening when it's not too cold. I put my hand in my pocket and pulled out the lily seeds above. I had collected the pods in November when they were splitting and looked ripe, popped them in the pocket and forgotten them completely. I shall hang on to them for a month or so and try growing some of them on.

4 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

The sweet pea plants look terrific and a great advert for cold-frames. How will you protect them if the weather gets disgusting again?

Kath said...

I'm sure it will Bilbo. They are very hardy though - you can sow them in situ in September/October if you are organised enough!

Stefaneener said...

My sweet peas are sprawling rather than climbing. I may have to tape them to the supports! Yours look lovely.

Kath said...

I usually have to tie them in before they get the hang of climbing!