VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Saturday, 2 January 2010

Grand Designs


I began the year with a walk around the allotment to make plans for what will go where once the ground is unfrozen and the sowing and planting seasons are underway. There are still some leeks to be eaten - once I can lift them without bending the fork tines - and on the old plot, the oca is now in a suitably frazzled state that I think I can lift and store the tubers - again when I can get at them.


The Spring Cabbage is coming along nicely - plenty of green leaves and they are beginning to heart up.


With an eye to the future I got my stored potato tubers out of the salad drawer of the fridge. These are the tubers of the two varieties I selected after growing some from true seed - the little 'potato apple' that follows on from the flowers. The original plant here was Salad Blue and the colour (anthocyanin, I think) is a trait that all the offspring carried in some degree. Amethyst, to the left, kept the deep purple colour when boiled or steamed in their skins, then peeled when cool, to use in potato salad (which was my aim). Purple Heart, on the right, turned a pale, cloudy white/grey colour. Not particularly attractive until you cut the spud in half and each one had a deep purple centre with the off-white surround. Both of these had an excellent flavour. I'm growing them on this year so they are now in the above chocolate box - Christmas present already finished! They are in the spare room to chit. I think I'll put one or two of each into big pots and bubble wrap them in the cold greenhouse for an early crop. The rest will go in the ground.

8 comments:

Hazel said...

I noticed the spring cabbages coming on nicely at the Hill, too, Flum - and I've still a couple of dozen leeks.

Feeling a bit smug to still have fresh veg at this time of year, to the point that I may freeze less next year so I can eat more in it's season instead.

Might change my mind, though, by end of March or so when I could well be sick & tired of brassica!

Stefaneener said...

I love your potato box solution. I hope they grow really well for you.

BilboWaggins said...

Whoa, those Spring Cabbage look a bit clever!

Daniel Chapman said...

The crops look good, even if they are frozen. So cool to see the spuds grown from seed. I think I saved potato seed this year, I wonder where I put them??

Kath said...

I've got some more seed - Highland Burgundy and another unknown - sent to me by an internet friend. Might try again!

Dale - thanks for your comment - I didn't publish it because it was so long - but your weather forecast sounds frightful!

Ricky Luz said...

Good on you, I didnt know Spring cabbage would bear the cold as well. Well done! Looks delicious. I am a first time gardener, so i am having a lot of fun with my first greenhouse. Thought it would be cool to join some more experienced gardeners! Great blog here.

Kath said...

Thanks Rick - yes, sow spring cabbage in July, plant out the little plants in September and they'll do a bit of growing before the really bad weather sets in. Come the spring, they're off, and they provide good meals while there's not so much about.

Kath said...

Just had a look at your blog Rick. I didn't realise you are at the far side of the world!