VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Saturday, 30 January 2010

Max-Min

After an amazingly bright night with a huge moon, we woke to a bright morning due to an overnight snow-fall. It's not deep, but it's so cold it might stay a day or two. My birthday present of a maximum-minimum thermometer has proved fascinating. This one comes with an extended probe so that I can take the temperature both inside and outside the greenhouse. This morning's readings showed a maximum in the last 24 hours of 11.3 in the greenhouse but only of 6.6 outside. The minimum readings were -3 inside the greenhouse and -4.4 outside. You can see that the inside maximum temperature is well within the decent growing range. By night though, it's still perishing!
The Cavalo Nero kale I put in the greenhouse after the toms were cleared has begun to grow a bit. I'm hoping for a spring harvest!

5 comments:

Sewing Granny said...

We too had a scattering of snow this morning - but the bright sunshine has sent it away where the sun touched it - it is still in the shady parts even though the mean temperature is 3c.

Spring can't be far away if you have things growing in your cold green house........

I inherited my Dad's max/min thermometer - I find it facinating....

Daniel Chapman said...

I need a couple of the max-min gadgets, such a handy tool. The kale is looking nice. It was -14c here today, the UK sounds like a tropical get away! Thankfully it is supposed to go back to seasonal temps next week.

QuiltSue said...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Kath said...

Max-mins are wonderfully useful. I had an elderly one with mercury columns but once the column breaks you can't successfully get it all together again. I've begun recording inside and outside max and mins in my diary (alongside the egg count!)

Definitely Brrrrrr - especially in Canada!

Hazel said...

Your kale's looking good! It might still be very cold, but I think that the winter plants know that the days are lengthening - my Swiss chard plants are growing a little now too.