
From the top and going clockwise - Galina, a small yellow tomato - lovely flavour - gift from
Phreddy . Next, Black Cherry, one of our favourites. Red Alert - the outdoor tom we grow on the allotment. Lemon Tree - looks just like a lemon but tastes gorgeously
tomatoey. Gift from
RedThorn. Green Zebra, our favourite grilling tom.
Euromoney, from the Heritage Seed Library. Doesn't sound like a heritage name - but it's a good sized 'slicing tom' - very juicy and tasty. The final 2 are
Tigerella. this has been our main tomato this year - we've eaten loads and they are really tangy and fruity.

11 lb of these crab apples appeared outside my back gate the other day. I knew where they'd come from. A friend had offered them to me and we said we'd go round and pick them. She got bored, she said, so she picked them for us! We swapped them for some eggs. Barter is alive and well. After washing and
de-stalking, 2 bags of 3lb each went in the freezer and I boiled up 5lb with water for crab apple jelly. The juice dripped overnight and is now in the freezer. I want to get some small jars for this.
I put some of the pulp into a bowl for the chickens. It didn't last long!

Some of my rogue beans - the ones on the left are an indigo colour and are from one of the F2s that's showing a dwarf habit. (In fact there are 2 plants with these
indogo shelly beans). The ones on the right are the deep red kidney bean coloured ones. I put some of each on to boil. Sadly the colours are fugitive and you end up with grey in each case. The flavour's cracking though!
7 comments:
i love the barter system!!! your beans are gorgeous, too bad they go grey
Too bad they change, but that blue is amazing. You don't think the cooking water might work as dye, do you?
It's possible, Stefaneener. I could try tie-dying something.
OOOOooow are those tomatoes purple?
My great grandson James says he doesn't like red tomatoes only blue ones - if I grew these purple ones next year, do you think he would like those?
They are a sort of maroon colour really Granny - but if you'd like to try some I'll send you some seeds. They are a lovely cherry size and one of our favourites for flavour.
What a veritable bouquet of colour! Looks like you've had as much fun with your tomatoes this year as I have. Those blue beans are amazing!
Shame the colour does not last, those beans are amazing.
Post a Comment