I tried Bird's Egg (from the Heritage Seed Library) and Borlotti Lingua de fuoco last year as shelly beans and I was completely sold on them. I found that the shelled out mature beans froze well too and they were featured in casseroles all over winter and spring. I intend to try a number of my french beans as shelly beans this year and these are Cherokee Trail of Tears (HSL) and as you can see, they are various shades from pale purple to almost black. Sadly they don't keep this colour when cooked but go a strange muddy colour. The flavour is excellent though. This is one to grow specially as shellies I think.
Watering,Walking and Waiting for Rain
16 hours ago

4 comments:
They look scrummy - so shiney!
Mind you, I froze some like this last year and didn't find them brilliant when cooked - I don't think that I cooked them for long enough - how long do you suggest?
Mmmmmmmm.
What a great idea with the casseroles. Did you freeze them blanched or raw?
Beautiful beans! Somethings you just can't have unless you grow them yourself!
It's not an exact science cooking them Hazel - until they're done! It depends on how mature they were at shelling point. I do casseroles for about 2 hours in the oven and they are certainly done by then!
Hi Stefaneener, I just put them in as they come out of the pod. I dont blanch them.
Hello Thomas - welocme to my blog. You are quite right, some things you can only get by your own efforts. They are worth it though!
Post a Comment