VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 21 August 2009

Round the allotment

This is Purple Giant - the climbing bean sent me by Hazel at the Hill (for blog see list) which gives huge quantities of tender purple beans even when you've left them a little too long!

Here's the climber I found last year in amongst my Soldier dwarf beans. Its pod ripens to a reddish colour and the bean, when taken out at the 'shelly' stage, is a deep violet colour. The beans go black when fully ripe but I hope to grow it on to use as a flageolet.


This is the biggest of my 'Turk's Turban' squashes. I've never grown this one before - I don't even know if it's much good in the eating department. I expect I shall find out!

The leeks are bulking up for winter. I'm very fond of leek and potato soups, pies, casseroles - it's a marriage made in heaven!



And here are the first of my allotment 'Red Alert' bush tomatoes starting to show some colour. I grew these for many years at my old allotment. I'm looking forward to re-acquainting myself with the flavour - I remember it very fondly.


4 comments:

Jopanofmanypets said...

apparently the turks turban squash are rather nice! the slugs ate all mine! sob! but next year, next year.

Kath said...

Hi Jopan, nice to meet you! I'm pleased to read your comment on the Turk's Turban. I bought the seeds because I love the shape and colour - but I do love my food too!

Hazel said...

Even if the Turk's Turban is a bit boring in the taste department, I would think that it would make a good chutney, and the seeds can be roasted for snacks - terribly healthy too!

Stefaneener said...

Really lovely beans. Next year I believe I'll specifically trial them. I find your squash completely compelling.