
We spent a few days away earlier this week - sister kindly taking on 'chicken wrangling' duties in the meantime - and for the first time in many years we actually visited (rather than drove past) Rieveaulx Abbey ruins. I had to take this picture as it showed the difference in the accurate and regular architecture of the Abbey buildings and the wondrously wonky arch of the tannery!
Here and there are the remains of the tiles - just enough for you to recreate in imagination the floors that must have existed before the dissolution.
I think this looks like a flower.

On our last morning we took a walk in the area of the hotel we'd stayed in and found this young owl - staying out late! He had been perched on the fence post but our arrival disturbed him and he flew off into the wood behind. When we returned he had gone.

3 comments:
Great photos.
I perform chicken-sitting duties for my Sister too! There's so much to visit up in Yorkshire, I remember visiting Riveaulx abbey years ago, along with Fountains abbey.
Lovely set of pictures, looks like you had a good break. Well done on the owl photo
Post a Comment