The whopper here is one of my Brandywine tomatoes. There's another almost ripe too. It weighs 1lb 3 oz. The two next to it are the striped Tigerella and the little jobbie next to the 50p piece is the best flavoured of my Tiger Tom x Sungold breeding experiment. These are here to prove to my doubting friends that, amidst the Green Tigers, Green Zebras, Black Cherries and Lemon Trees I do actually grow a few red tomatoes!
Watering,Walking and Waiting for Rain
16 hours ago

6 comments:
That truly is a whopper, Beautiful tomatoes! I did some major staking & pruning on my tom's today. I found out my brandywine only has one tiny fruit on it and one set of flowers just opening. It really needs to catch up to the other before it is to late!
Wow! That's quite a tomato! Looks utterly delicious, too.
I don't think we can get those big guys. Four ounces or so seems to be as big as they grow around here. Just not enough heat.
That looks delicious! The high point of the tomato growing year has to be to tuck into a thickly sliced beefsteak tomato drizzled in olive oil, basil and mozzarella. Bon apetite!
I know you are mostly veggie but we love homemade burger in a bun with one slice of this sort of tomato, it's fun when the tom slice is as big as the burger. Look forward to hearing what the flavour was like.
Maybe I'll grow some next year (and yes, I did notice they are red, ha ha)
I admit to starting the Brandywine early (early Feb - I normally start tomatoes mid-March) exactly because it needs a long season. You need to coddle them a bit. I only grew 3 of these and they were in and out of the greenhouse in March, April and May because I wanted them to get maximum light but not suffer from cold at night. Worth it though!
The flavour is excellent. I had the first Brandywines in July.
My three tom plants are full of fruit but they are taking their time to redden up - three of the Alicia are just turning! Bet they all turn while I am up in Birmingham for FoQ and I come back to a bumper crop and not know what to do with them all!
Post a Comment