The Crane Exercises its Wings

Well, it's been one of those weeks - but in a good way. I wanted to finish this wall quilt to enter for the Village Show on Saturday 11th. It was all done except the binding and a little quilting in the borders. The name of the quilt comes from a sequence of moves in the T'ai Chi form and several of the fabrics feature cranes. I've embelished the quilt using red beads to stitch over the red feathered crest behind the eyes of the cranes and I've quilted each section differently as the spirit moved me.

Above you can see a wing quilted onto the patchwork background. In places I've followed the pattern of the fabric and in other areas I've followed the shape of the quilt block. It won me a First Prize in the show, and the Handicrafts Cup. (First Prize is a small printed card saying "First Prize")

Another First Prize was for my Tayberry Jam - featured above on toasted home made bread for breakfast this morning. I have to eat it up now, the judges open the jars to have a taste. I also got a First for 6 pods of peas and for 6 pods of Broad Beans. In the flower section I got one for a vase of 3 annuals -tall campanulas. Technically they are biennials - there's no class for those - but they are only going to flower this year so I count them!

Today we had a field trip with our local Natural History Society and we visited a chalky bank where these grew in abundance - frog orchids. There was some humorous discussion as to why they are thus named. They don't look the part like bee or fly or man orchids. Some wag suggested they were pollinated by tadpoles!
10 comments:
Congratulations - well deserved after all that hard work.
That jam looks spectacularly tasty!
Celia
Congratulations! I left our county fair today with plans percolating in my head about what to enter next year. I'm definitely going to plan for some produce in addition to knitting!
Congrats on winning all those firsts Mrs Flummery! I love the quilt - who is going to recieve it for a gift? or is it to stay in your collection?
oooohhh .... congrats on all the prizes, that's great news! I love the quilt and your quilting.
Did you actually leave any First's for anyone else? What a brilliant set of results, well done.
Thanks to everyone for their kind remarks.
The quilt is going over the chimney breast Granny. This one I keep!
The jam IS tasty Magic Cochin. It's really a conserve - hardly any water added and the fruit is whole.
Stefaneer - have a go. The first year I was here I just entered a quilt. Then I saw that I had produce that could have entered many of the other categories. I now use the scattergun approach! If I've got something suitable it goes in. After all, it's more of a victory for the winner if there are lots of entries!
Lots of Firsts left Sue! It's a small but classic village show with loads of categories I just don't have time to enter. I'm not into getting up at dawn to make cakes and scones.
Nice work on the quilt and congratulations on the awards!
Brilliant, Flum - well done!
I'm waiting for our show schedule to come out - apparently there's a couple of new categories, so my super duper garlic might get a look in after all!
Thanks Dan. It's a good feelinfg.
We have an 'Any other vegetable' category Hazel. It comes in VERY handy!
So sorry I am late coming to this post. Many, many well deserved congrats!
Post a Comment