VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Tomatoes!

This is one of the most unusual shaped tomatoes I have this year. It's called Lemon Tree and I imagine it will ripen up yellow. It's from RedThorn of the Grow Your Own Grapevine forum.


This Tigerella is my standard tomato this year. I have about 8 plants and they are my main eating tom. I'm very partial to these - they taste and look good and are usually big enough to slice if you choose to.

This is one of my all time favourite tomatoes - green zebra. It's still small and unripe (the pale bits go yellow) but is loaded with fruit. This one takes a long time to ripen but makes one of the world's best grilled tomatoes. Very fruity and tangy.



This is a sweet tomato from Phreddy of The Grapevine - I don't know its name but I have 2 plants and they are full of these baby plum tomatoes. I'm looking forward to trying these!



This massive handful is one of my Brandywine toms. We've had 2 ripe so far and they've taken a couple of days to eat up! Just a slice fills a sandwich.





These are my Sungold selection. There are about 10 plants and 3 of them have wonderful sweet/sharp flavour and will be grown on next year. The rest aren't bad but not quite up to standard.

The Sungold cross is also proving a good tomato. It's cherry sized like Sungold but deep red and full of flavour. Again, the best 3 are having seeds saved for next year.
I have several more types but a row of green tom photos isn't going to be all that gripping so I'll wait till more are ripe before I post more about them!



5 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

I wish I could love some of these varieties as you do. I must be a tomato philistine but to me, toms have to be red . . . don't mind intersting shapes but they have to be the "correct" colour {grin}

Kath said...

Open your mind little Hobbit - and eat with your eyes closed!

Sewing Granny said...

The toms growing in my greenhouse are doing well but I haven't had any ripe ones yet - bet they all ripen together while I'm at FoQ .

Daniel Chapman said...

The Brandywine is gorgeous! It will be a great moment when that one is ready.

Lemon said...

Your tom collection looks amazing! Your funny shaped tom from RedThorn looks like my 'freebie toms' in our veg patch. Don't know how they got there - can only assume from contents of home-compost bin! They are long like a plum tom but then have an unusual groove that splits tom into two halves from top to bottom! Yet to ripen though. Have left plants to themselves, no stakes, no pinching.....Am hoping they will ripen. (not much luck under the shade of the scallop-shaped squash plant though!