VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Monday, 6 July 2009

Crimson Flowered Broad Beans


The proof that these little beans are well worth growing is surely in the eating. The pods usually contain only 4 beans (occasionally 3) but the beans are jade green and keep their colour on cooking. The flavour is wonderful too. I much prefer these to the pale grey that many broadies end up with on the plate!

5 comments:

Hazel said...

Quite right too - although the yield is a little lower that 'newer' varieties, they are a delight to look at & taste!

Mine weren't troubled by blackfly last year, but had a dose of the little critters this year. That won't stop me growing them, though, they are lovely!

Stefaneener said...

Beautiful So few people eat shell beans here -- it seems to be a regional idea. I'm growing some, and looking forward to them.

Matron said...

Yes, I agree with you. They are prolific AND tasty. The wonderful flowers is just a big bonus!

vuejardin said...

Very beautiful and healthy beans, I love them pale also, these are good stuff.

BilboWaggins said...

They look wonderful. You do realise, don't you, that you and Hazel are responsible for me rapidly finding out that 8 planned raised beds are not going to be nearly enough ...