VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 16 July 2009

Goosegobs!


7.5 lb of them. These are all from one bush which has already yielded around 1lb for a pie and a dozen for the village show. Note to self - make pie AFTER village show next year - then I might get all the big berries and get a higher than 3rd place!
Jam soon I think - probably gooseberry and orange.

7 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Yum!!

I don't believe I have ever eaten a gooseberry, but I've read enough childrens' books featuring them. Such a pretty color.

BilboWaggins said...

Oh, this post should come with a bib! Dribbling towards the keyboard (but, as Hazel keeps reminding me, thinking "this will be us in a couple of years!")

Daniel Chapman said...

I really need to try these gooseberries. There has been a lot of talk about them on the blogs, it has spiked my interest. Gooseberry & orange jam sounds spectacular.

Kath said...

Gooseberries seem to be a 'love it or hate it' fruit Dan. A recent magazine poll placed it at or near the top of most loved AND most hated fruit to grow!

The jam usually has a pink tint Stefaneer - even when not mixed with other fruits.

Drool away Bilbo - you've got room for several bushes!

Hazel said...

Gooseberry bushes have a bit drawback - really wicked thorns!

I'm on the lookout for a tasty but thornless variety so I don't turn the air quite so blue when picking, weeding & pruning 'em!

Matron said...

Yes, it was a good year for gooseberries. Such a short season for really ripe fruit, but just one of the gourmet treats from the garden. I think I might have just a few left on the plant now, I will savour them.

Sewing Granny said...

Ooooo! gooseberry jam......Yummyyy!

I used to go and pick goosegogs from a pick-your-own farm many years ago, before the New Town grew too big and the land was built on.....it was one of our favourite fruits of the summer....pies, jam, stewed with custard......Pass the bib Bilbo!