VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Wednesday, 15 July 2009

Named peas

We have not just been having peas these past couple of weeks - we've been having named varieties! From the top right, the green pods are Magnum Bonum. This is a lovely flavoured pea and the peas themselves are, as the name suggests, both large and excellent. I'll definitely make this a regular.
Bottom right, the pallid pods are Goldensweet. This is usually eaten as a mangetout but if you can't keep up (and we couldn't, even with only 12 plants and eating them raw on salads as well as cooked) you can let them fill out and they make an excellent eating pea.
Bottom left is my cross of Lancashire Lad (purple podded) and Oregon Sugar Pod (mangetout). These are good eating - we've had some already - and I don't want millions to grow on the the F2 generation, so we are eating some.
Top left is Ezetha's Krombek Blauwschok. This is one of the better purple poddeds to my mind. Still not much to write home about as a raw pea but I haven't found a purple that is sweet enough to eat raw. Hence some of the genetic blending!

And this is what happens to your fingers when you pod Ezetha's. Doesn't wash off first time either!

8 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Will you be naming the Lancashire Lad/Oregon Sugar Pod cross?

Of course you will, and no doubt come up with something much nicer than Lancashire Plod . . .

PS: fingers are great, some people pay a fortune to get their hair that colour.

Celia Hart said...

I've been grazing in the veg plot and agree the Purple Podded and Victorian Purple Podded peas were a tad bitter. On the other hand, Curruther's Purple Podded and Clarke's Beltony Blue are satisfyingly sweet even when the peas are fully filling the pods.

The star of my plot this year has to be Tutankhamun - not a purple podded, but a very good looking white flowered tall pea. I'm having to resist eating them so I can save the seeds.

Celia

Stefaneener said...

The Magnum Bonum sound lovely. I'm investigating edible peas this year, and am looking forward to it!

Kath said...

How about Transatlantic Bilbo? Or Oregon Lad?

I've got Carruthers at the allotment Celia. It's a lovely pea but it's the only one that's suffered from pea moth. I consider that to be a big drawback! I had some peas given last year that were labelled 'King Tut' and some were green and some purple podded. All had purple flowers. I suspect there are a few peas going around purporting to be from the Tomb Raiders!

Remind me in a couple of months Stefaneer, and I'll send you a few seeds for Magnum Bonum. Huge peas but still sweet.

Matron said...

I was growing purple podded and goldensweet this year. They are fantastic to look at but not the sweetest tasting pea. I think I will grow a sweet green eating pea next year and keep the purple and golden for show!

Kath said...

If you'd like some Magnum Bonum seeds let me know Matron.

Hazel said...

I'm making notes here about pea varieties for next year & may be round with my begging bowl!

Mind you the Clarke's Beltony sound good - they might well be a choice from the HSL next year.

They'll be plenty of swapsies from the Hill in due course - must put some tasting notes up on the blog or I'll forget what's what!

Kath said...

Beg away chuck - anything I have you can have seeds from.