This one is a larger tomato and also an F3 unhybrid. It's sweeter and juicier than the fist and a definite maybe for growing on next year. I have 10 unhybrids and 12 crosses so there will be more tasting of individuals as they become ripe and some comparisons as I whittle them down to the good ones.
Another cross not far off the tasting stage. There are 2 or 3 others approaching ripeness but just at the orange stage that I thought was going to be the end product as Sungold is one of the parents. I'm getting really excited about this one as so far I love the flavour. They are what I've seen described as 'cocktail' sized, though quite who would stick a tomato in a cocktail I can't imagine! Maybe you are supposed to add them to your nibbles?
I picked half a pound of Goldensweet mangetout peas today and I can hardly see where I've been. This is from a 6-bamboo wigwam with 2 plant to a cane. First year growing this but it's going to be a regular here.

5 comments:
Fascinating experiment! I am just starting to harvest my first F1 Sungold. I resented having to pay £2.99 for 6 seeds, but it seems completely worthwhile now! Would you like to contribute to my online veggie show?
Nice looking toms. Makes me miss my early one :-( I have some sungolds growing that I seeded a few weeks ago. I hope they grow fast as they were started very late.
That's more like it - a proper red tommy! Hope it tastes as good as it looks.
I think that 'cocktail tomato' refers to the size that you can still comfortably bung the whole lot in your gob at one go and bite down without the pips squirting out everywhere.
Certainly Matron - I'll have a rummage and see what I can find for your 'show' - we have our village show on July 11th too.
The size of tomato I can comfortably put in my gob is remarkable large Hazel! The first one was very nice - sweet and not too thick skinned. I'm looking forward to trying no. 2 shortly. I'll grow on the best of the 12. All the crossed toms so far are red, although the 'maternal parent' was orange.
Sungolds are the one hybrid seed I purchase and grow (or buy plants for). The flavor is just so out of this world. I'm interested in your experiments!
Post a Comment