
This is the 4ft tall chard from last year which is going, nay , racing magnificently, to seed. I think it looks rather stately and is set fair to blossom shortly into yellow racemes of flowers. I still pick leaves for the chickens but I hope to harvest a bit of seed for next year. With 4 beaks to feed I need plenty of greens!
Our allotment site is behind the village church and the little path leading down to it skirts the graveyard wall. On the other side of this wall is the site where my Dad's ashes are interred. Over his grave I planted some daffodil February Gold (his birthday was in February) and when the daff has had its day the fading leaves are hidden by this gorgeous geranium sanguineum. I say hello to him as I pass.
Now for something completely different -
Last night we had a wander around the Big City of Hull with the local Natural History Society. Towns, especially those with docklands and flower beds filled with imported soil can yield some nice plant records. Nothing spectacular last night but I couldn't resist this view of The Deep - Hull's Submarine aquarium (or Submarium as they annoyingly call it!). It's supposed to resemble the prow of a large ship - and I think it does. It's wonderful inside - lots of fish to see and a huge deep tank with a glass lift through it which allows you to see the sharks and huge rays close up. Well worth a visit - especially if you can go without children who muscle in and push you off the 'hands-on' stuff and then don't do it properly and don't read the instructions and labels! Old misery aren't I?

6 comments:
The chard grows into an interesting plant. Always nice to see the full life cycle of veggies.
Yes! I've started leaving veggies to go to seed. It is interesting to even let them drop seed and self seed in the garden. They seem to grow well in the strangest conditions and without any help from us! My spinach is now about 5ft tall as well!
Daniel has beaten me to my comment {LOL}. Love to see what happens when the plants go to seed. The Bright Lights you sent me are doing well, will be a long time before they look like this, grin.
Cabbage looks great; that appears to be a smallish mesh on the frame around them - is it not enough to keep out the cabbge whites?
The mesh is fairly small Bilbo but the cabbage whites can get through it! I'll heva to get ourt the enviromesh for the winter greens.
Goodness! That was chard? In my first year of gardening, I'm learning so much.
It's not normally that big Kalena Michele. It's more like spinach. This plant has been allowed to go to seed so I can collect it for next year's planting.
Post a Comment