VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 2 June 2009

Peas


This is the flower of Goldensweet - Mendel used it in the famous genetics experiments. The flower never fully opens like the other peas I've grown and the wings stay folded.


This is the beautiful golden pea that forms when the flower drops off. It's a mangetout so will be ready to eat reasonably soon.


This is the first pea from the hybrid between Lancashire Lad and Oregon Sugar Pod. It may go completely purple as the pod matures. This is just a step on the way to the pea I'm looking for but I'd like to know if it's a sugar pod or a sheller.

11 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

So pretty - almost worth growing just for the flower!

Daniel Chapman said...

That pea flower is beautiful, I have only ever grown ones that have white flowers. I wonder what colour my sugar snaps will be.

Kath said...

The sugar snap peas I've grown have all had white flowers Dan. That's partly why I'm trying some crosses. I'd like to produce a purple snap pea.

The flowers on my hybrid are as big as some of the sweet peas I've grown Bilbo. Sadly, they don't have the perfume.

Hazel said...

I wounder if Mendel used this particular pea because of the flower shape (I've not seen a 'closed wing' one before), or for a different reason?

It's very pretty, I must say!

Kath said...

I think it was a haphazard choice Hazel, but the pea has a lot of genetic diversity so it's great for breeding experiments. At the moment, the ones I fancy crossing it with aren't in flower yet. Must get my dates better organised next year!

Lemon said...

WOW! A beautiful pea flower! Thought it was a sweet pea! The Lancashire/oregon cross pea with the purple tinged edges is truly amazing! Well done! You're a clever thing!

Kath said...

Well thank you Lemon. However, I have to say it's not cleverness it's noseyness. It's all "I wonder what would happen if ..."

Robbiegirl said...

My Golden Sweet flowers are just opening. They are lovely, I grew them for the first time last year and basically just stood around half the summer admiring them!

Doing a few crosses myself this year.

Golden Sweet x Purple Podded
Golden Sweet x Sugar Ann
Waverex x Golden Sweet
Sugar Ann x Purple Podded

I want a yellow and purple snaps, purple and red mangetouts and a tall version of Waverex (petit pois).

A fair chunk of "I wonder what happens if..." there I think!

Kath said...

Wow Anna, you should get some interesting results from those. I'm limiting myself to one cross per year as I won't have enough room to grow out the results! (Partly because I'm doing similar things with tomatoes!)

Lemon said...

Can you cross sweet pea with edible peas then? Which ways round do you do it and how do you know that resultant cross-bred fruit is an edible pea?

I don't think I'm as patient to wait for my own cross-pollination results!

What other veg works out of curiosity?

Kath said...

Edible peas are Pisum sativum and Sweet peas are Lathyrus so I think it's like trying to cross a cat with a dog! You can cross varieties of most things - you just need to decide if it's worth trying - if there are characteristic in both that you want to combine.