I had another go at pea crossing today. I took the pollen from Ezetha's Krombek Blauwschock (possible spelling error there!) and tickled up some Sugar Snap. Won't know the outcome will this time next year but at least if the flowers are coloured I'll know I have a cross!
I also noticed that the crossed tomatoes are now ripening up to red. I thought a couple of days back that they were a similar colour to the selected out F3 Sungolds but I left both on and the Sungolds have become a sort of brighter orange whereas the crosses have gone through orange and out the other side. Tasting at the weekend!

7 comments:
Lovely looking grub there - I nearly asked what the blue beans were, then looked again properly!
Your bright lights seem to be more colourful that mine - I don't seem to have had any orange stemmed ones in my batch!
I was going to say "Oooh Bleu Veggies too! What are they?" Heheheh Had a close up - your peas look fab! Lovely looking chard - is it tasty?
"I nearly asked what the blue beans were, then looked again properly!"
me too! LOL
Celia
I'm with Hazel -- I kept trying to place those beautiful dusty blue beans? Peas? But oh, it's not vegetables.
They're lovely, really. I'd like to see the results of the pea crossing.
Honestly! Can't a Laydee try to keep her fingernails from looking totally manky?
The chard is strong tasting but if you like the flavour it's fantastic - and we do! It's got that slightly earthy taste - like beetroot, to which it's related. I cook the leaves for a very short time by pouring boiling water on them - they wilt down rapidly and are just about ready. Strain well.
I removed the centre stalks and cut them into 2" pieces, which take a little longer to cook but are excellent and slightly milder in flavour. 'Twas a grand tea last night, with a home-made meat pie (local beef raised 2 miles away).
Vegetable Heaven said..The chard is strong tasting but if you like the flavour it's fantastic - and we do! It's got that slightly earthy taste - like beetroot,
Do you mean like beetroot leaves? I've tried them lightly cooked - they bleed pink a little but I think it tastes delicious like spinach. Might be worth trying chard then!
It all looks wonderful (I too was confused by the "blue veggies"). Glad your tomatoes are turning red, I'm with Hazel - orange ones just don't work for me.
Post a Comment