VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Saturday, 7 May 2011

Frost and quilts

This slightly crisped potato plant was under fleece on Tuesday night, the night our outside temperatures reached -3.5. I managed to fleece up most of them and attempted to earth up the rest, although they still had a few leaves peeking out. It should only make the crop a little later, but it makes me glad I have only just sown my runners and climbing french beans.



Courgettes and squashes, similarly, can't be put outside here this early. These were potted on today but stay indoors at night, in a double glazed garden room to keep the frost off.


Another rubbishy view of my overwintered tomatoes from cuttings. I have one or two tiny set fruits on early sowings but this, if you can be bothered to faff, is the way to get extra early tomatoes.



This little fig tree was given to me as a cutting a couple of years ago and this year it has 5 little figs on. I'm really excited by this. It wasn't protected during the past shocking winter but is in an angle between our house and next door's conservatory, whose wall you can see behind it.


And on to quilts. This is a present for my friend who is getting married on Sunday. Last-minute-quilts dot com still has the label to make and sew on, but at least I know she will get it on the day. I promised her a quilt but said it might not be ready in time and I asked for her colour preferences. She said gold and cream. This also features old gold, ecru, a touch of brass even, but I felt it needed a change in tonal value or it became very bland. Hope it pleases (if it doesn't I'll have it back - I like it!)



This one is for our new sofa (not pictured), the one with the reclining seats! The block is the same as the previous picture but there is a light rectangle at 2 opposite corners and by rotating the blocks you can produce the effect of the 4 point star. I continue to be intrigued by the effect you can get with simple rectangles, if you alter the tonal values of the fabrics. Small things amuse small minds eh?

10 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

Mmm we had frost damage too!

Jo said...

Your quilts are fabulous, I wouldn't know where to start. I'm sure your friend will be thrilled to bits with her gift. I too have just potted on my courgettes and squashes, I'm not taking any chances on putting them out yet.

QuiltSue said...

I love both quilts, specially the gold one. As you say, you really wouldn't think they were both made with the same block.

BilboWaggins said...

Glad your frost damage is not too severe - definitely too early to put courgettes outside.

Quilts are fabulous - amazing what a difference value placement makes.

Paul and Melanie said...

That fig tree looked exciting. :) I'd love something like that, maybe next year...

Martin and Amy said...

I can't believe that some places have had frost this late. Thankfully for me there was none in my neck of the woods. We only got a little bit of rain too and like you said it was the first time in about 7 weeks.

Keep up the good work!

Martin :)

www.our-good-life.blogspot.com

Kath said...

We've had late frost the past two years Martin - about 15th May last year and 18th the year before. I never put tender plants out till the end of May. Spuds catch you unawares though!

Matron said...

You've just reminded me how I was caught by a late frost last year. I am so tempted to start planting things out because they are getting pot bound and are already hardened off.

sewali said...

Love the quilts!

BilboWaggins said...

I shouldn't have re-read this post heading when tired - I now have an unshakeable image of you tucking quilts around all the little pots in your greenhouse .....