VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 17 May 2011

First spuds and other things

Here's a slack handful of Arran Pilot new potatoes furtled out from a shrub tub which had 3 seed potatoes in, started in mid February. There are plenty more in there but I'm happy to take them a few at a time and leave the rest to grow a bit more.



My first Chilli is now an inch long. It was sown in January and kept in the house for a couple of months. It was taken out during the day to the greenhouse and brought back at night until the recent spell of more settled weather when it's been out in the greenhouse for good. There's another forming just above it and more flowers to come. It the variety Cayenne.



This pan of pinks and campion is gorgeous at the moment. I can smell the pinks from the chicken run when I'm poo-picking - far nicer!



The first few flowers are coming on my Purple Mangetouts. I have already rogued out any plants which didn't show purple colouring at the seedling stage. Here's hoping that many will be true mangetout peas and I shall sow seeds from each one of these for next year.



Runner beans or French Beans? The ones above are runners. You can tell because the bean sends out roots downward and what appears above ground is a shoot and two leaves. The bean itself stays in the soil.



These are French beans. The skin of the bean splits and when the root goes downward, the two halves of the bean come up and form the cotyledons or first leaves of the plant. The first true leaves unfurl from inside like a dragon's tongue coming out of its maw (or should I get out more?) It's an easy way to tell what kind of bean you are growing (in the event that you forget or someone gives you an anonymous haul of bean seeds.)

11 comments:

Jo said...

I love the first spuds of the season, especially smothered in butter. I didn't know that about beans, I shall store that snippet of information away, I'm sure it will come in useful here as I'm always forgetting to label things or else the label goes missing.

Hazel said...

V jealous of your spuds - my first ones not likely to be ready for another couple of weeks.

You've reminded me that my pepper seedlings will remain ever so unless I pull my finger out and repot this week!

I have pea flowers too - Robinson in my case. Needless to say I have my eyes firmly on your purple mangetout experimentations...

Never knew that about the french & runner beans - I've just had to go out and scrutise my seedlings and you're right! Learn something new every day, eh?

sewali said...

Always very exciting when the first of something is ready to harvest. And I didn't know that about beans either!

Martin and Amy said...

Very jealous of your potatoes.. ours are almost ready though too!!!

Hope they are delicious!!

Have a great day!

Martin :)

BilboWaggins said...

Excellent tidbit of useful information about the beans, thank you.

I don't think you need to get out more - last month I was busy trying to explain the difference between monocotyledons and dicotyledons to a visitor - using beans and peas as the examples. They might have "got it" but I don't think they really cared!

The Boy Ollerton said...

I am itching to dig my spuddies up, though I should probably not. I think I have some arran pilot as well, forget the names on the tags. I think i'm going to lift the little velcro tab up and have a peek inside now! :)

Sue Garrett said...

Must admit taking photos certainly makes you look at the world more closely doesn't it?

Caro said...

Lovely potatoes! What fun to be harvesting already! I only grow french beans and hadn't realised that runners grew differently so, thank you, a very useful tip!

Daniel Chapman said...

Nice spuds! I am just about to plant mine. I was planning on growing some early ones but the spring has been really nasty this year.

Paul and Melanie said...

Great looking chilli! I thought mine were doing well as they're just about to flower, but yours are beating them by a mile, well done! :)

Matron said...

Lovely spuds! It is definitely worth growing a few in tubs for an early crop!