VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Wednesday, 20 April 2011

My lucky day

First of all, I received this book from a give-away at Allotment Heaven (http://mylottieheaven.blogspot.com )(no relation!) It's beautifully illustrated and full of facts about the many rose types and the groups of new English Roses derived from them.



And here's my favourite - Brother Cadfael. I have this rose in my own garden and love the form and scent. I have to admit though, that it was bought for the name. I love the Ellis Peters books about the medieval monk detective of that name.


In my front garden I have a rose called Perdita and I will happily admit that this is because of my fondness for Perdita X Nitt (AKA Agnes) from the Terry Pratchett books.




Another piece of luck arrived in the same post. Our village's In Bloom group would like to provide a seat in the village and we were sent an application form (via the Parish Council clerk) for a Red Nose Day Community Cash grant. It seemed worth a go so I got the job (I only took one pace back!) We have received the full amount to enable us to buy a seat made out of recycled plastic, so it can't be carved or set fire to easily, and accompanying planters for a floral display.




So thanks go to Maureen at Allotment Heaven, Red Nose Day Community Cash and to the Two Ridings Community Foundation who administered the grant in our local area. What a great day!

6 comments:

sewali said...

Congrats on both! I too love David Austin Roses, their Shropshire base is well worth a visit in the summer. You won't come away empty handed LOL! My favourite is the Mayor of Castorbridge (sp?)

Caro said...

And, hopefully, the sun is shining as well on you! Congratulations on winning the book, it looks gorgeous. What a wonderful name for a rose - and a beauty at that! I've not read the books but I enjoyed the TV series with Derek Jacobi. Caro xx

Maureen said...

I'm so glad you got the book safely and that you like it. Enjoy it. That was a first giveaway for me, and I'm glad the book went to a good home !!
M x

Hazel said...

I used to go riding in Albrighton village and so I'm familiar with that shrine of rose gardens which is David Austin - as Ali says, well worth a summer visit if you can (FoQ?)

(Although I shudder at any mention of Mayor of Casterbridge - my 'O' level Eng Lit nemesis!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one to garden by name - Perdita would have been my choice too! Although I have an inherited 'rose round the door' called Marigold which is pretty and fragrant and will gladly take your skin off with it's thorns!

BilboWaggins said...

You deserve such wonderful things, I know the last month or so has been pretty tough.

You're not the only one who buys David Austin roses for the name, which might be why I have a beautiful "Winchester Cathedral" waiting to be planted!

littlekarstar said...

Hooray! It's always such a boost to have those sunshiney moments. Enjoy! And happy Easter :)