
Excuse the pathetic photograph but the fruits on my over-wintered tomato cutting are beyond the capabilities of my little camera. This was last year's Sungold selection - F4. I have sown the seeds and have some good sturdy F5s to compare, but this is one of two plants taken from an overwintered specimen. The problem with getting very early fruits is trying to get the ripe but if the current weather conditions continue that won't be a problem. We really need some rain though!

This wrinkled object looks like it might have been one of the two expected accompaniments of the Talisman of Set. Seriously wrinkled and dried up. There were two. I broke one open (I had to use a pestle and mortar) and the little scattering of seeds are true potato seeds. The dried fruit is from an unknown variety that someone gave me. I also have some from Highland Burgundy. I haven't had enough varieties to hand to do any crossing but potatoes don't come true from seed and there's so much genetic possibility in a potato fruit that each little seedling will likely give me a completely new variety. I've sown them in 2 pots and will pot on a few. anything that tastes good will be grown on next year. I did it a couple of years ago with some fruits from a Salad Blue and I'm growing some of those in the garden. I just had to do it again. I can't help it. I'm a slave to my curiosity.
4 comments:
As long as you're not planting a crop of Sets!
Now that would be scary!
Hope you've had some rain now, we had a bit yesterday but today is bright again, looks like it will be another hot, sunny one.
Your experiments continue to fascinate and amaze in equal measure.
Still no rain Bilbo!
Post a Comment