VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Monday, 22 February 2010

This and that

Those with keen eyes will spot that my supermarket long, sweet pepper seeds are starting to germinate. I did this the year before last and got a decent crop of long peppers.

Here's one I grew earlier! I had intended to do the same last year but somehow the sowing frenzy got away from me and I never got around to growing them.

These are the Kent Blue peas I was given 2 years ago. Again, I didn't get any sown last year but their germination seem to be unaffected.

This is the remains of the Wholemeal Honey Cake I made for our daughter's Birthday Tea-party. I think the original is in a book by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall.
Wholemeal Honey Cake
300g butter or marge
250g golden caster sugar
4 eggs
150 wholemeal SR flour plus 1 tsp baking powder
150g ground almonds
50g flaked almonds
4 tablespoons runny honey
Pre-heat oven to gas mark 3 or 170
Grease and line a23cm round tin
Put butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat till soft and fluffy
Beat in the eggs one at a time with a tablespoon of flour with each one
Fold in ground almonds then sift remaining flour over and fold that in
Put into tin and scatter the flaked almonds on top
Bake for about an hour or until a skewer comes out clean
Remove from oven and trickle the honey over while the cake is still warm
Good warm as a pud or cold as a cake.

8 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Any plans for creating a new pepper variety with more clever fertilisation experiments?

sewali said...

That looks a very yummy cake, I'll have to have a go soon. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Daniel Chapman said...

Good thing there always is next year. I am already thinking of things I want to grow next year. The cake looks excellent!

Kath said...

Peppers are notoriously promiscuous Bilbo. If you grow 2 types you'll get crosses! I'm happy with my free supermarket ones.

It's a lovely cake, Ali and Dan - and not as sweet as it sounds.

Matron said...

I think I've given up on peppers and aubergines. They just take so long to grow, I feel the precious space is best used for other things.

Kath said...

I'm definitely not growing aubergines Matron, but I usually get a decent crop of peppers. I put one or two of the big sweet ones in amongst the toms in the greenhouse border and the smaller chillies go in pots on the staging. As long as I keep up with the watering I get enough to dry for winter too.

BilboWaggins said...

What interesting comments about aubergine. Many summers ago I had two plants in a grow bag in the g/h and enjoyed a great crop of small, pear-sized fruits which contributed to wonderful pots of ratatouille.

You both have far more veggie experience than me - was I just lucky that year?

Kath said...

It can depend a lot on the summer. In 1975 (long, hot!) I got a good crop from a growbag outdoors. Most years they just don't ripen and go from green to mouldy brown even in a greenhouse.

Or you are a legendary Greenfingers!