We have seen this chap flapping about the village recently and there's not a garden pond up the lane which still has fish in! He landed on the garage roof of the house opposite. I tried a picture through the living room window, which is a little pale but you can see his characteristic stance. Our pond has no fish and the frogs (being of sound mind) are currently sleeping out the winter weather, but they'll have a hard time of it in the spring. Maybe we can rig up some black cotton over the pond?
He was still there when we went out to the car so I grabbed the trusty Coolpix again and shot off another picture. These are well cropped but show what a lovely big bird he is. "Over here, Young Man!" shout the chickens!

3 comments:
What a stately bird.
Good job!
We are under the flight path between the river and a huge pond north of the village. I suspect the heron which often fly over might be making a pit stop or two once we get a pond dug.
An urban heron! I saw a night heron on the Grand River about a week ago. Strange sight this time of year, they usually go south.
Post a Comment