I should have been out on a Natural History Society field trip but I got so wet seeing to the chickens early on that I dipped out. Instead I sowed some peas in root trainers - Goldensweet (heritage yellow mangetout) and Ezetha's Krombek Blauwschok (purple podded pea) which I might try interbreeding - assuming they are in flower at the same time. I didn't sow them at the same time last year and when the Blauwschok were in full fettle the Goldensweet had mostly gone over. I also put in a few Salmon Flowered peas.
Then I thought it was about time I got on with the broad beans. It's too wet to sow directly at the allotment so I put 18 Masterpiece Green Longpod and 12 Crimson Flowered broadies in large modules.
All these are now in the cold greenhouse. I don't expect them through for 2 - 3 weeks but I know I shall be checking every day just in case!
I've just got a loaf of bread on and shortly I shall start preparations for a nice Valentine's day meal.
Watering,Walking and Waiting for Rain
16 hours ago

5 comments:
so you haven't got the snow which the east of the country was threatened with?
You're way ahead of me on peas. I'm wary of planting anything this early, though I may put some in next month. I've got Goldensweet, but not Ezetha's. I lost all my overwintered broad beans to mice, so I'll be planting more shortly. Same goes for sweet peas.
No Bilbo - but lots of rain!
I've only sown the round seeded types Robert, which are hardier. I also find that if I raise them in the greenhouse and plant them out as going concerns I don't lose them. Mice tend to take the seeds here, and early sowings rot in the cold wet ground. I've only bothered to overwinter broadies twice. They usually suffer badly from wind rock and never straighten up properly.
My overwintered sweet peas were also sown indoors - in the cold frame. I put them out several weeks back and they seem to be fine. I've never tried these in situ though.
Well, it has taken me a while to find my way to your blog - but I finally did!
I am in the very early stages of "early starting" too. Yesterday I too begged off of a planned outing because I planted up an early bed of spinach and was so grubby and damp afterwards that I did not feel like "tidying up" to go anywhere afterwards. Glad to hear my priorities are shared by someone else!
kitsapfreedomgardener
www.modernvictorygarden.com
Hi Kitsap - welcome - I know you through your comments on Dan's blog. You are certainly a long way from East Yorkshire but as you say, our priorities are the same.
Post a Comment