VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Saturday, 20 February 2010

A frosty night

The ground is frozen hard this morning but the peas are tough enough to handle it. They are round-seeded. I suspect the later main crop peas which usually have wrinkled seeds, would not make it.
I potted up the Cayenne chillies sown on Jan 3rd. I always find chillies slow to get going so I started sowing them earlier. They need more faffing around if you sow them early but it's worth it as long as you don't do too many! There are 8 chillies and 5 heritage tomatoes (also long season generally speaking). At the moment I know which are which - 2 of the toms share a label, resting between them - but I'm off soon to write more labels. You always think you'll remember. Quite often you don't!
The pots are shown on the greenhouse staging where they spend the day when possible, to give them maximum light and keep them short and sturdy. It was 12.4 when I came in from the greenhouse and we have a sunny day so think it will get warmer. Before dusk, they are brought in to the house. This will continue till May. (That's why I don't start too many early!)

7 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Will you grow on the chillies in the greenhouse for the year and if so, any magic tips to combat the (almost) inevitable whitefly?

Matron said...

yes, chillis do need to be sown earlier. That reminds me I need to pull my finger out and get my seeds in too.

Kath said...

I'll eventually pot up the chillies into 10" pots and keep them on the greenhouse staging. I find they are less susceptible to whitefly in there than if I try to keep them on a windowsill in the house. Usually a squirt eith soapy water and a good going over with a paintbrush does the trick though.

kitsapFG said...

Peppers seem to take forever to get started and to actually grow on. It does not help that my growing climate is cooler and moderate most all of the year. I have taken to just growing peppers in the greenhouse as a result. They need the extra heat and protection it provides.

Your starts look charming in their individual pots. I always label everything because I have a least two varieties of each kind of veggie and will lose track of what is what without a guide.

BilboWaggins said...

The last year I grew chillies in Hampshire the whitefly were a h*ll of a problem. I used to take the pots onto the lawn and blast them with a hose - hard enough to get most of the whitefly off but didn't seem to harm the chilli. Would those yellow sticky traps help at all?

Kath said...

I only ever try peppers in the greenhouse kitsapFG. We never really seem to get a long enough summer (if any at all!)

Now you mention it Bilbo - I have some whitefly traps - part of a Member of the Month prize from Grow Your Own. Must dig 'em out!

Daniel Chapman said...

We had a pretty thick frost this morning. The ground is always hard here this time of year even with there is little snow, like a block of ice.