Labels for the large 'Bags for Life' in my new freezer. In order to save me having to rake around with the lid up, wasting energy, I decided I'd have to have categories. True to form, quilting friends came up with fabric scraps and even an adhesive backed stiffener that you iron on. This has made strong, stiff but bendable luggage tags for my bags of stuff. I have one of rhubarb, one of other fruits, one of climbing beans, one of broad beans, one of baking, one of meat. It certainly makes the trip to the freezer a bit quicker!

Sungold offspring - so far.
These were only identified and transferred to their large tubs in June (because that's when I got my copy of 'Breed your Own Vegetable Varieties' by Carol Deppe) so are behind my greenhouse toms. However, they are now sufficiently large to be able to see that they are falling into roughly 2 groups. The ones in the picture are in the group of early flowering and setting tomatoes with large star-shaped flowers and thick, chunky stems. A second group is still in full flower - only one fruit so far set - and these have a more delicate flower with turned back petals and the plants are tall and have slender stems. I am eagerly awaiting ripe toms on these!
The plants raised from the allegedly F1 hybrid Piccolo are only just showing flower buds but appear to me to be really uniform in growth habit. They really seem like an open pollinated type (unless there is a difference at the flowering/fruiting stage or in flavour.) Time will tell.
And finally ....

Just a picture of new Grand-daughter on her quilt, having a little kick around. Ahhh!

7 comments:
Bwaaahhhh - I like your Luggage Tags more than I like mine; oh tish, I'll have to dig through the scraps again and make some more! I like what you've done with the ribbon (encased it between layers??). hugs, Bilbo
No I just layed it along the top so that the ends would be covered by the stitching. Encasing it might be better - never thought of that!
From the look of the weather (nearly dark enough to have the lights on) I shall be making a few more today.
I should have acknowledged that I nicked the idea from you. Now I shall - thank you Bilbo!
I love the material for the labels - never knew that you could get such cute designs!
You have no idea Hazel! I'm off to the Festival of Quilts later this week - there will be a dazzling array of fabrics to buy there. Even if you think you aren't looking for anything in particular there is always something that 'follows you home'!
That's why I'm steering clear of the NEC this weekend - as a non-quilter who would love to have the patience/knack - I can do without unbearably cute fabrics 'following me home!
No credit needed, but thanks anyway. I never did manage to make more yesterday, but have got two more logs on each of the 36 Log Cabin blocks that are my next quilt. Bilbo
Interesting about the Piccolo tomatoes. I don't know anything about that particular variety but you do occasionally come across open pollinated varieties being sold as F1 hybrids. Presumably to deter people from bothering to replant the seeds, and because they can sell them at a much higher price. I will be watching your Sungolds with great interest!
Apologies for my recent silence ... one of our cats has a broken leg and is requiring a lot of care. I hope to get back to blogging soon...
Post a Comment